PLANNING REVISION

lishac1222
on 4/14/14 9:03 am

Hi everyone, I had my original surgery in DEC OF 09 it we went really well, however I have gained back about 30 lbs this is a depressing and scary feeling.  I have followed my Dr's orders, exercise walking at least 30-45 mins daily, I eat lot's and I do mean lots of fruits and veggies, hardly any sweets, but this weight has crept back on me. So I have an apt at the surgery center  on the 18th of April. Does any one know how long it takes to get a date for surgery since this is a revision? I had the sleeve , any suggestions on if I should have it redone or ask for something else i.e. the DS, any help would be greatly appericated . Thanx

zmdh39
on 4/14/14 2:39 pm

I lost track of myself a few months back, gain 10 lbs back...which really freaked me out because I had maintained forever and felt like I ate the same things I always had. I think slowly overtime we just slip little things in our diets, and over time those add up and equate to the gain. I started tracking my food again, and started exercising doing both cardio and strength training and that ten pounds came back off in less than a month. I don't know any of your stats, or your calorie intake, health issues if you have any, so a decision like you are considering is one you need to analyze and make. Just be honest with yourself, if I was considering revision...and trust me I would in a heart beat if I felt the sleeve wasn't doing its job, but before that, if you haven't, you might want to do a week or 2 and record your calorie consumption etc. Or try bumping up to more difficult exercises if that is possible for you to do. If it were me I would want to make sure that I have exhausted all other options before having another surgery...just to make sure that everything is in order and there are no underlying health issues that might be causing the weight gain. In any case if surgery is your best option, then its all about what you are willing to live with for the rest of your life, and which makes sense for your health and lifestyle. My biggest struggle with the sleeve is taking supplements, I am terrible about staying on them, and with any malabsorption you have to stick with them to stay healthy. I am not sure about the exact numbers, but maybe you could look into how much malabsorption takes place with each. I noticed on the DS, that you are still able to absorb 100% of simple carbs. Maybe running some of those numbers over with your doctor, might help you to decide. Best of luck to you!

Grim_Traveller
on 4/15/14 12:27 am
RNY on 08/21/12

30 pounds regain may seem like a crisis to you, but I doubt very much it will qualify you for a revision surgery. You can lose this weight without additoonal surgery by changing some of your eating habits. 

For instance, you write that "I eat lot's and I do mean lots of fruits and veggies, hardly any sweets." Cut out the sweets entirely. And you can eat too much of anything, especially fruits, which can be higher in calories, so that you will gain weight. Lots and lots of anything isn't helping.

Go back to protein first. Don't graze. Weigh all of your food portions, every bite, and log them daily to keep track. Reduce your calories, and you can have this weight off sooner than you could finish fighting with insurance over a revision.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

ladygodiva1228
on 4/15/14 1:14 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

First of all not all insurances pay for a revision and the ones that do don't just say " oh you gained 30lbs ok you get a revision"  There is a process for it.  Most will not approve a revision with only a 30lbs gain.  Unless you still have over 100lbs to lose.

Have you been measuring and writing down what you are eating? 

It really sounds like you are eating to much and not getting enough exercise. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Kate -True Brit
on 4/15/14 1:33 am - UK

I think you need to work out why you think a revision would help. Is something about your sleeve somehow not working? It is more likely you have just slipped into bad habits and no surgery helps with that. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

56sunShine14
on 4/15/14 1:48 am

All these posts are hitting the nail on the head.  You should not be able to have a second surgery over 30 lbs.  Many fruits have sugars that will count against you so you could reduce the amount of fruits you eat per day. 

And you said you eat hardly any sweets?  I am the sugar queen, it is my "heroin" if you will.  When I was banded, I was completely off sugar for over a year.  One day, I thought I would try something sweet and BAM!!  I was hooked on it again.  I have regained all the weight I had lost and then some.  And although sugar is not to blame for this, I am, but sugar keeps you coming back for more, and more, and more.....

Get away from sugar as was earlier posted!  The rest has already been said.

Good luck!

lishac1222
on 4/15/14 2:20 am

Thank you everyone, I have been writing down my food intake, with my back the best exercise I can do is walking I will make it a longer time and speed it up. I will take all of you suggestions to heart. I am a military dependant, so therefore I have my surgery at the military hospital, so I don't think the insurance is a question. I do have an apt on Friday so I will discuss my options with my dr, I felt like that would be my best option but I was interested in what other people had to say.This is a big decision and I appericate your input. I will keep you all updated. Again thanx.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/15/14 1:51 pm - OH

Um, yeah, actually the insurance probably IS a question.  Just because you have military dependent insurance coverage doesn't mean you get any surgery/procedure you want whenever you want it.  There are still medical necessity guidelines that doctors are required to follow.

An ethical surgeon also probably isn't going to do a revision for "just" a 30-pound gain, especially when there is no evidence of mechanical failure (as others have said).  Revisions are more difficult than "virgin" surgeries, and the complication rates are higher, so the criteria for medical necessity is actually more strict than for a first surgery.

Go back to basics.  Measure your portions and track everything you eat for a few weeks and you will likely find that you are eating more (or eating more calories) than you think you are.  It is very easy to let too many carbs slip into our diets or to let portion sizes creep up.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MsBatt
on 4/16/14 3:12 am

I think you'll find the fruit is the culprit.

TexasTerritory
on 4/15/14 5:25 am
VSG on 07/22/13
So as a military dependent, taxpayers' dollars will pay for your revision so that you can deal with a 30 pound regain? You think revision before you try other options?

Signed a very proud mother of a naval officer

Shaking my head......

Most Active