Looking For Encouragement

Ellen C.
on 4/15/14 7:30 am - Charleston, SC

Has anyone lost weight, regained and then lost again?  Looking for words of encouragement that losing the regained weight is possible.  Thanks so much.

LiViAnN_mommy
on 4/15/14 7:51 am - Citrus heights, CA

There are a lot of people, myself included, who have regained after WLS and who are working on loosing or have lost it. It is very possible. I have lost 14lbs so far. You need to go back to the basics. Start measuring your food again and tracking it, cut out the crap, get your body moving again, drink your water. This is what I have set up for me (everyone is different but this is what works for me when I follow it) I try to get in at least 72oz of water, 80+ grams of protien, limit bad carbs as much as possible and my goal is 1000 calories but average 1100 daily and I am at the gym at least 3-4 days a week. I started taking my vitamins and drinking a protein shake again and feel a huge difference in my health.  You can do it. Looking for help is the first step. Good for you!

Ellen C.
on 4/15/14 9:27 pm - Charleston, SC

Thanks. I appreciate the words of encouragement.  Really good tips too. 

Cunning_Pam
on 4/15/14 7:55 am
RNY on 12/18/13

There is a group here on OH called Back on Track Together, they are very active. Short answer, yes, it's possible. Long answer...here's a link to the BoTT group.

Good luck!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Ellen C.
on 4/15/14 9:28 pm - Charleston, SC

Thanks.  I will check that out.

phylmingo
on 4/15/14 10:44 am

I want to encourage you to hang in there! I lost over 100 pounds and then gained some of it back. I am losing the thrity or so pounds that I gained very slowly. I am a foodie and I find the only way to avoid the foods I love are to not buy them. If I want chips I buy a small bag the 99 cent ones and that is all I allow myself at one time. I had the surgery 8 years ago and have managed to keep 100 pounds off. It is not easy and some days a huge struggle but it is worth it to keep trying. I do not get down on myself on the days when I just want to eat everything in sight. A lot of the time I find that I am not hungry but bored or needing to connect with other people. I wish you all the best!

Ellen C.
on 4/15/14 9:34 pm - Charleston, SC

Thanks.  You are right it is a daily struggle.  I was told by my surgeon that gastric bypass is not the easy way out and he was right.  My surgery was in 2004 and I loved the first few years afterwards where I didn't even think about eating.  But it seems now all my old demons have crept back.  So back to basics I will go and I am determined to lose the weight I have gained.  I will be 50 years old in December and my goal is to not be fat and fifty.  I wish you the best also.  Take care.

Kate -True Brit
on 4/15/14 5:40 pm - UK

I don't know which surgery you had and that makes a difference. It is my understanding that it may be harder with RNY (apologies if that is incorrect) but it is possible with any surgery.

i gained 28lbs about four years ago and lost it quit quickly. I then regained most of those 28lbs over the last year. They are coming off, albeit slowly this time.

all about going back to what worked in the beginning. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Ellen C.
on 4/15/14 9:28 pm - Charleston, SC

Thanks.

Most Active