Removing lapband....should I proceed with sleeve???????

southerngirlmom
on 4/15/14 8:36 am

Having my lapband removed in a month.  I would like to know who has had theirs removed and if you proceeded with the sleeve.

Thanks!

Hislady
on 4/15/14 8:43 am - Vancouver, WA

I would if I could, that or the DS but I'm a little leary of the DS because it's malabsorbtive and I'm just not interested in that. Alas I can't have either of them because my lungs are in horrible shape and I don't dare have another surgery. I had my band out because it was causing such awful pain but even that was risky. Thankfully I didn't have any problems but it was possible for it to cause serious problems. I do know lots of folks tho that have and only a couple are unhappy with theirs. So yes it is a very good choice.

nayttap
on 4/15/14 9:46 am

Revising to sleeve was one of my best decisions ever.  The sleeve is everything the band was supposed to be.....  It's a personal decision, but it was the right one for me.

HW:  275;  CW: 155;  GW: 120-135;   Ht:  5'2"

Lap Band 8/2011

Revision to VSG 12/2013

Kate -True Brit
on 4/15/14 5:36 pm - UK

Seems to work for many. I know two for whom it has been a bad decision but if you go on the sleeve board here, you will find lots of very happy people *****vised to sleeve from band. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

MsBatt
on 4/16/14 3:01 am

Only you can decide which form of WLS is right for you. In order to decide that, some things you need to think about:

Did you lose weight well with your Band? Have you lost well in the past, when you were able to stick to a diet? Do you believe that restricting the amount you can eat at one sitting is all the help that you need? Is your metabolism in good shape? If your answer to these questions is yes, then I'd say the Sleeve is a good choice.

On the other hand, if you've always had to struggle to lose weight, if you've lost and regained multiple times, if your metabolism is slow and you gain very easier, then perhaps you should consider a surgery that also causes some malabsorption. The RNY/gastric bypass causes temporary (about 18-24 months) malabsorption of a small per centage of the calories you eat. You still have to diet and make good choices, but it gives you an advantage over pure restriction.

Long-term, the Sleeve and the RNY have about the same success rate.

There's also the DS/duodenal switch, the big gun of WLS. The DS has the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass much greater than that of the RNY. The DS causes permanent malabsorption of a significant per centage of the calories you eat, especially calories from fat. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, especially for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. It also has the most liberal post-op eating plan.

Most Active