Pre-op and a little scared

Tracy3
on 4/15/14 11:23 pm

Hello all, I have a surgery date of April 23. I'm a little scared, but i know this is right for me. I have done a lot research for a couple of years and have been going back & forth and  finally I'm going full steam ahead. I wasn't sure about whether or not to do the sleeve or bypass. I finally chose the bypass. I figured if i'm getting surgery then I'm all in. I read all you post to try to get a feel from you & get any tips i could get. I do have one question, Would you do it again if given the choice? I know I'm making the right decision.  i think I'm  just nervous about it. One more thing, I know I'll have loose skin, but is there a way i can help my skin so it don't sag as much. I started out at 247lbs & lost what i need to for surgery . I'm excited and nervous at the same time. would love to hear from you all

AnneGG
on 4/15/14 11:36 pm, edited 4/15/14 11:40 pm

I was scared silly, but like you was ready. I also started out at a similar weight.

The sleeve and the bypass have similar results as I'm sure you know. You can take NSAIDs with the sleeve, RNY is better with a history of GERD. I had to have RNY because of severe GERD, and haven't had any GERD since surgery almost 4 years ago.

Re: the loose skin, lots of exercise helps, but I just put up with my sags and bags. A lot of people get plastics.

I would do it surgery again in a heartbeat- it was a terrific help in getting the weight off. It has taken learning new habits re: eating and exercise, but the difference that has made in terms of self respect and what I do in my life now has been huge.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Tracy D.
on 4/15/14 11:39 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

From one Tracy to another...congrats on making the big decision!  Would I do it again?  In a heartbeat, I just wish I'd have done it sooner.  

Loose skin:  it's going to happen.  As we got fatter and fatter our wonderful bodies actually grew additional skin to cover our mass....and it doesn't shrink or evaporate along with your fat cells. It has nowhere to go except hang out until we get it cut off.  

Now, depending upon your age, ethnicity and skin elasticity, you might get some extra snap-back that some people don't get, especially if you're under 30 years old.  The best thing you can do is drink lots of water, get enough protein, take your vitamins, use good lotion and do enough exercise to get your blood flowing.   That will help the skin you have look better.  But all the exercise in the world isn't going to reduce the amount of excess skin.  It will make the muscles underneath leaner and look better.  Which helps a lot when you finally get to the point where you do skin removal surgery.    

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Thinknthin
on 4/15/14 11:45 pm

I most defiantly would do it again. The only thing I have had any questions or doubts was when in the hospital and I needed to get up walk and pee and the nurses were not coming to help and since I was one iv and monitors I couldn't do it myself. It was mainly just ubber irritation with them, and then the next morning they delivered a clear liquid diet (not sugar free) hello I did not want to dump on my first day. But that was the kitchens fault and thank God I checked, husband checked and then called the nurse and she fixed it quick. Could have been a major upset. 

As far as surgery, walking, sipping fluids (I still use the med cups to sip from) and raise your hands above your head when you feel gas pains works amazing. I also would have my husband burp me haha, and rub my back. Helps so much.

best of luck to you, and speedy recovery. 

Tracy3
on 4/16/14 12:19 am

Thank you all so much, it really does help to hear from you. I'm 46yrs old & I'm so ready for this. Just hearing from you gives me so much hope. I will kept you updated cause I know I'll need all the support i can get... your all an inspiration to me, I'm looking forward to a NEW & BETTER Me....Thank You

Purplevirgo
on 4/16/14 6:04 am - NM
RNY on 05/08/12

I was the same way....so scared. It's funny tho...the day before my surgery I was excited! wasn't scared one little bit!! It will be 2 years next month since I have had mine and honestly I wished I wouldn't of fought the idea when my family presented it to me....I would of so done it way sooner.  It was harder to go get a tooth filled than to have my surgery lol!! Love the things I can do now with my son I feel like a teenager again.  I am a 45 year old teen ;-)  Rollercoasters are my new found joy :-)  Congrats and good luck!!!!

Renee 

Tracy3
on 4/17/14 12:13 pm

Thank you, I can't wait to feel like that again & will be able to run around. Do the things i have wanted to do for a long time. Like go on a roller-coaster to where i won't be afraid if i can even fit in the seats..I count down the days...lol

Most Active