Surgeons Nurse sez Everyone that has Wls Gets A Hernia

huskergalWsD
on 4/17/14 9:59 am

Not sure how to respond to the nurse today when she told me these exact words.. I don't know how to feel now, Lucky or Mad..I have heard that others have had Hernias a lot sooner after wls than me..I am 7 years P.O. and today was told I have an Umbilical Hernia...Anybody have this and can tell me what to expect now as far as repairing it, how long it takes to heal?  thanks Wendy

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

huskergalWsD
on 4/17/14 10:01 am

The things Surgeon's and nurses don't tell you before Wls..GGGeeeeeeeezzzzz

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)

Cunning_Pam
on 4/17/14 10:10 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I'm sorry to hear you're having to deal with a hernia now. I think your surgeon's nurse is exaggerating greatly, however. From Bariatric Times:

"The incidence of internal hernia after LGBP is between 0.2 and 8.6 percent based on multiple studies (Table 1). This incidence is higher than that seen with open GBP, and this is presumably due to decreased adhesion formation after laparoscopic surgery compared to open surgery.9 The creation of potential space as a result of weight loss may also be a contributing factor in the etiology of internal hernias, which often present in a delayed fashion."

What's interesting is that the incidence of hernia after open gastric bypass is actually lower. It's believed that adhesions may actually be a good thing in that case, and may be helping to keep the bowel loops in place. Also, weight loss in general contributes to hernia formation, as the mesenteric fat prior to weight loss helps keep everything where it's supposed to be as well.

I can't tell you anything about an umbilical hernia, unfortunately. My hernia was repaired many years ago, but it was inguinal (and needs to be redone at some point.)

Hope you get the help you need and have a speedy recovery.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/18/14 3:53 pm - OH

The incidence of hernias with open surgery may be lower, but an incisional hernia from a 6-8 in*****ision is a lot more difficult to repair than a small lap hernia (and is much more painful as well)!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

huskergalWsD
on 4/17/14 12:29 pm

when I googled it, said being obese causes Hernias .

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/18/14 3:57 pm - OH

Sure, being obese can cause a hernia but it certainly doesn't happen to everyone.  More people get incisional hernias after WLS than have them going into surgery.  

As already pointed out, your surgeon's nurse is either woefully misinformed about how common hernias are or your surgeon is doing something that is resulting in a much higher incidence of hernias.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

White Dove
on 4/17/14 10:08 pm - Warren, OH

If it is everyone at that surgeon's practice, I would be wondering about his techniques.  It is definitely not everyone who has weight loss surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

AnneGG
on 4/17/14 10:21 pm

So far no hernia here except a hiatal hernia I already had pre-surgery and was fixed at time of surgery.

Sorry for yours.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Most Active