6 years post RNY- Phentermine anyone???

nicole u
on 4/20/14 2:36 am - holbrook, NY
Revision on 12/01/08 with

Hi!!  So I am 6 years post RNY and I started out at 298.  I reached my goal of 143 and now I am back up to 181.  I am thinking of going on Phentermine to get back down to my goal.  Has anyone done this?  Any thoughts would be soooo appreciated.  I hate being fat again  :-(

298/182/143
Surgery/ Current/ Goal

Amy R.
on 4/20/14 3:39 am

Personally, I wouldn't.

I've had re-gain as well, about 40lbs.  I am just now getting the last five or so pounds back off.  I won't lie: I did consider the diet pills.  But I refuse to go back into "diet" mentality ever again.  Eventually, you'll have to stop the pills.  You can't stay on them for  life, and even if you did you would become so tolerant that they would no longer work.

Instead of dieting, I went back to the basics.  It wasn't as easy or fast as losing weight with pills.  But it worked for me and it re-established eating habits I can live with for the long term. 

My two cents only=)

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Ladytazz
on 4/20/14 3:51 am

I agree with Amy.  All dieting has ever done for me is make me fatter.  The point of WLS is to have help in eating smaller portions.  Food choices are still up to us but hopefully with less capacity for food our hunger will decrease and it becomes easier to make healthier choices.

I decided after my revision that instead of "dieting" I would follow my NUTs post op plan to a T, which I did.  As I got closer to goal I added more foods and somewhat larger portions.  My goal with to eat in a way that at some point the amount of calories I was eating would match the amount of calories I was burning so I could maintain a normal weight.  Then the goal was to make sure the way I was eating was one I could stick with because it isn't healthy or effective to starve, eat, starve, eat.  For me, all that did was teach my body to live on progressively fewer calories and use those calories more effectively, which meant I would gain weight faster then before the diet.

The number one offender in most people *****gain are carbs such as sugar and flour.  I'll bet dollars to donuts (excuse the pun) that what has contributed to your regain came from the middle of the store, or a bakery, drive thru or candy isle.  I don't know you and obviously I have no way of knowing what you are eating, those are just common things I hear from people *****gain.

The best way I have found to lose excess weight and keep it off is to avoid sugar and gluten products, plan what I am going to eat, avoid impulsive eating, plus, of course. the backbone of my eating, protein first before anything else.  My goal daily is 100 or more grams of protein and 100 or more oz of fluids.  I have found that by the time I finish my protein I have little room or desire for the rest of the meal.  It is WLS kindergarden but it works well for me.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/20/14 4:58 am - OH

My personal vote is also no.  It likely won't be any more effective at long term weight loss than it was (or would have been) before you had WLS.  A friend of mine started taking it for some regain and it helped him for a couple of weeks and then nothing.  When he stopped taking it, he again regained the little bit of weight he lost while on it, anyway.

He started tracking his food intake, focusing on dense foods and drinking more water, and he has lost a good bit of his regain.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Linda_S
on 4/20/14 8:37 am - Eugene, OR

I wouldn't do it.  My endocrinologist put me on phentermine and topamax (same as some new diet drug) for a while, because I produce massive amounts of insulin and have a really hard time burning calories.  Anyway, it didn't help with weight loss, just made my heart pound terribly.  It's really not good for you.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1368 views