really really angry only 3 weeks out and gained!

ariyazdi
on 4/20/14 3:41 am
with

long story short I had my vsG  3 weeks and 4 days ago and not only have I gained 6 pounds but I have not lost a single inch or single pound in almost two weeks and I have not cheated or grazed or eaten anything that they haven't told me to eat. my body isn't participating and I am and I even started exercise and I'm really angry and I don't understand and I've done a lot of research and this hasn't happened to anybody where 6 pounds has come back on and absolutely not even one has been lost in a matter of 2 weeks does anybody have any suggestions or advice

Member Services
on 4/20/14 8:08 am - Irvine, CA

You are still so early out from surgery this could be swelling from the surgery.  It took 4 months before all my swelling went away.  When is your next appointment with the surgeon?  Give the office a call and see if you can get in to talk to someone. Also, post this on the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG)

Keep us posted on how you are doing!

Regards,

Member Services

MsBatt
on 4/20/14 8:17 am

Relax---this happens to a LOT of people, and your surgeon should have warned you about it.

During your time in the hospital, they were constanting pumping you full of fluids. Many people come home weighing as much as 30 pounds more than they did the day of surgery.

Your body has been through some major trauma. It's struggling to rrepair the damage that's been done, and it 'thinks' it needs every available calorie in order to do this. Since you're feeding it very little, it's trying to hold on to all that fat it's worked so hard to store.

Stay off the scales, drink your water, eat as much protein as you can, and RELAX.

Linda_S
on 4/20/14 8:33 am - Eugene, OR

I know you're anxious, but just follow doctor's orders and stay off the scale.  It will happen soon enough and you'll be over the moon.  For now, all the worry is doing is stealing your joy for today.  Relax a little.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

GingerJen
on 4/20/14 9:27 am
VSG on 03/07/14

I look at it this way when I gain here and there-a pound is 3500 calories. I'm eating 600-800 cal and burning about 300 with exercise. There is no possible way the scale weight gain is fat/calories/etc! So it has to be fluid/swelling/etc. 

i gained 25 pounds in 2 days after the surgery. It took about 2 weeks to get rid of that fluid and even then my body played around back and forth after that. Then I lost a bunch. Then it stopped for 10 days and i bounced around gaining and losing the same 2 pounds. Then I lost 4 and gained 2 and then lost that 2. Just to show you that the scale can be crazy in the first 6 weeks! But overall I'm down 30 and down 2 sizes-so it has to be working. 

Hang in there. Just don't quit before you give it enough of a chance. 

37 y/o female 5'8" HW 355 consult 329 SW (3/7/2014)301 CW 168 goal 170

M1- 26 M2- 14 M3- 15 M4 -13 M5 -16 M6-12 M7-2 M8-5 M9-6 M10-8 M11-1 M12-5  M13-10 Goal reached 4/5/15 total lost 187 lbs total; 133 in the 13 months since surgery

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/20/14 12:50 pm - OH

I'm not sure what you used as sources for the "a lot of research", because this happens frequently to people no matter which type of weight loss surgery they have!  The are literally hundreds of posts about it just on this site.  

It is completely normal and has nothing to do with your body "not participating".  (It doesn't really have a choice in whether to participate or not.)

Just take a deep breath, calm down, and keep doing what you know you should be doing.  The weight WILL come off.  As others have already pointed out, what you have "gained" is nothing more than fluid from the IV fluids in the hospital (possibly in combination with your own hormone cycle which can cause water eye iron (in both sexes... Just more so for women).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Elle_Bear_Fabulous
on 4/20/14 5:26 pm

I am in your boat and this boat sucks. I am three weeks out and I have stalled for 2 weeks. Call your doctor if you haven't done so already. Mine told me to calm down because the stress will not help. I mean I was so mad that I spent all this money for a tool that doesn't work. I was devastated. Also, I was told to focus on my water/liquid intake since this was more of what they are looking for at my doctor visits. Double check your sodium also. For me sodium is a water retention killer and the soup I was eating and seasonings were all bad so I am cutting that out and seeing how it goes from there.

Good luck! I am with you on this. Let's take it one day at a time.

RNY- 4/02/2014

ariyazdi
on 4/22/14 2:55 am
with

Thanks everyone! I have stayed really relaxed and calm but the only thing is is that I was consistently losing after surgery I didn't gain any weight whatsoever from the fluids in the hospital I came home and I had been losing weight and then two weeks out I gained 6 pounds After losing 20. I hadn't had any new fluids it just came out of nowhere that's why I was freaking out. If it had been the fluids from the hospital I wouldn't have cared but it was after I had been already consistently losing weight, but anyways I have calmed down and I do have a lot of patience it's just shocking to see it go down and go down and then out of nowhere it goes up 6 pounds. But thank u to everyone *****plied!

Most Active