Skincare!

alittlelessofme
on 4/20/14 6:16 am
RNY on 09/18/14

Hello all! I am new here. I just attended a seminar and am now waiting for a call from the surgical office to set up an appointment. Despite the waiting game I'm eager to get started. 

I was wondering... has anyone adopted any type of system or ritual to help prepare your skin for weight loss prior to their surgery? To help it out as much as humanly possible with the shrinking and holding onto any elasticity it may have left? I've done my own research and intend to start taking vitamin C and anything that will help skin health along with exfoliating and moisturizing.

I would love to hear any suggestions or tips!! Thank you!

4/16 - Attended a seminar...
HW- (that I know of) 285
CW- 275 GW- TBD! :)
Add me on Fitbit! :) https://www.fitbit.com/user/28Z5QP

Valerie G.
on 4/20/14 9:03 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The best thing you can do to prepare your skin for the massive weight loss is to open a savings account for future plastic surgery.  Overstretched skin is usually permantly damaged.  A little elasticity is possible after a couple of years, but it's nothing miraculous, I assure you.  I never had plastics, but if I want to feel confident in something form fitting, a little lycra works wonders.  Just don't fall for the magic creams and exercises.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

alittlelessofme
on 4/20/14 9:11 am
RNY on 09/18/14

Thanks Valerie! ... No miracle creams or fads here.. Just plan on doing all I can to moisturize and take care of what I got. Surgery is definitely in the back of my mind as a next step down the road.

4/16 - Attended a seminar...
HW- (that I know of) 285
CW- 275 GW- TBD! :)
Add me on Fitbit! :) https://www.fitbit.com/user/28Z5QP

TruemansMom
on 4/22/14 1:33 am
VSG on 06/24/13

I have never been much on a "routine" for my skin. It was always catch as catch can before surgery. Post surgery it's different. I figure I can spend 50 dollars a month on product if it helps and avoid teh big bucks of surgery. I lost weight in my face very early on and "suddenly" I had the face of a sixty year old! OK, I turned 60 in September, but I did not look 60 before surgery. The saggy chin and lines around my mouth showed up and boom I looked my age. I have found some help from skin product and I'm back to being able to face my mirror every morning. It's not cheap, but it's cheaper the a FL and it's working while I get used to my reflection. I have tried 2-3 brands and am now using a mishmash of them to get by. I hope to willow it down in the next few months and settle on 3 or 4 products that provide the best bang for the buck.

all that said you asked for specifics. My two best: for lines around eyes and mouth - Philosphy's Hope in a Tube; for the jaw and chin - Dr. Perricone's Sub-D (as seen on TV :)) it $$ but cheaper and less painful than a FL.

The most basic: Drink you water, that is always key to skin health.

Best of luck

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213