Finally sleeved !!! Now need to find way to track calories

jbraeger
on 4/21/14 4:24 am

Well OH, I finally got sleeved on Friday !!!! I'm now on the Losers Bench. This site has been so awesome in my journey and I'm so grateful for it. Surgery went well and no complications, thank God. I have a little pain and no appetite which is good but strange from someone who loves food. I'm going to take advantage of this time and try and loose as much weight as possible. I have 3 weeks off of work so plenty of time to do that. During that time, one of thing I want to learn to do is to find an easy way to track calories. Honestly, this is going to be challenging as I'm not one for tracking things or documenting every thing I eat so I'm hoping some of you can offer some suggestions on apps I can add to phone that make tracking calories easy. I think since I don't venture out too much and will probably stick to a few common foods, places to eat, etc... I'd like an app that I can pre load different food items and when I eat them, I simply would just click and add that item for the calorie content. I looked at an app yesterday called "Lose it" which I like and seems pretty easy. Any suggestions would be appreciated. So glad to be part of the Losers Bench !!!!

Sandy M.
on 4/21/14 4:44 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

First of all, welcome to the Loser's Bench!  

MyFitnessPal is what a lot of folks here use.  Almost every brand name food out there is already in the tool, so you search for it and add it.  If you put it on your phone, it also has a bar code scanner, so you can simply scan the item right into your food diary for the day.

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

JJ0609
on 4/21/14 4:49 am

WELCOME TO THE LOSER'S BENCH! Congratulations on your surgery and the fact that it went so well! I use MFP as well as Sandy M. There are other apps but I do not know what they are since I do not have a smart phone, sorry. Good luck with exploring while healing and while getting your water and protein in.

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Tracy D.
on 4/21/14 5:22 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Welcome to the loser's bench!    I like MyFitnessPal because it already has thousands of foods already loaded.  And if you have a smartphone you can add things simply by scanning the bar code on the side of the package.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Dcgirl
on 4/21/14 6:33 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I also vote for MyFitnessPal!  A ton of us on here use it.  It's easy and you can do it on your computer or on your iPhone/Android.  You can also add friends from OH easily and see our menus.  One thing to note - it will base your "required" calories and carbs/protein/fat based soley on your weight so you need to log in on your computer and manually change your requirements.  Otherwise it will be telling you to eat 1,800 calories and really you need 600 lol.

Cunning_Pam
on 4/21/14 7:25 am
RNY on 12/18/13

MFP! MFP! MFP!

Having been overweight my entire life, I've tried several times over the years to keep track of my intake. It never lasted for very long. However, MyFitnessPal makes it so easy that now I don't eat a thing until I log it! I can definitely stick with it. It will work exactly the way you describe, you enter a food once and it then will appear in a shorter list you can choose from.

If you sign up you can look me up and friend me, I'm on as Cunning_Pam. Sometimes it helps to see other people's menus.

Good luck with whatever system you choose!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Watson
on 4/21/14 7:33 am
VSG on 06/08/10 with

Welcome to the Loser's Bench. This site is awesome. Me myself also been Sleeve almost 4 years ago. Good to hear that all is going good for you. I keep track on calories on "ObesityHelp" and "MyFitnessPal". As far as any apps goes I don't know of any that you can keep track of calories. Once again, Welcome to the Loser's Bench.

Highest Weight: 565 pounds (around 1999), Highest BMI: 94

Pre-op Weight: 476.40 pounds (2 weeks before {05/25/2010} VSG surgery), Pre-op BMI: 79.3

Lowest Weight: 153.5 pounds (as of 07/10/2013), Lowest BMI: 25.5

Current Weight: 350.75546 pounds (351 lb 0 oz./159.1 kilograms (as of 04/22/2019), Current BMI: 58.3

lonnierjones
on 4/21/14 4:47 pm

Congratulations on your surgery! I track my activities, food and water intake, and sleep hours through my Fitbit gadget, which is great. You carry it with you all the time, you get notifications and you get to see your progress as well.

Diabetes Diet Journal Blog

jbraeger
on 4/22/14 11:51 am

Thank you all the replied. I'm going to try all your suggestions and see which works best for me. The less work the better :) Take Care !!!

Most Active