Thyroid, thyroid, why oh why. Help?

Susan M.
on 4/22/14 3:10 am

I'm 4 months out from my DS, pre-op my thyroid levels were under control.

my 2 month blood work revealed my levels were rising (at 3.25) but the doctor said he wasn't worried since I was losing weight that it might equalize.

The past couple of weeks have been horrible.  I can hardly drag myself out of bed, I have no energy whatsoever, I keep trying to push through it for the children if not for myself but my eyes close while i'm doing stuff.

I just had my blood work done again and my levels are at 5.57.  I'm increasing my dose but i'm frustrated.  I read so many people saying that they had no issues with these meds post-op.  

I'm worried it's not just affecting my energy but also my weight loss and mood. 

So, has any one else been through this?  what was the outcome?

Lisa167
on 4/22/14 3:30 am
VSG on 08/14/14

So sorry to hear about this.

I too have thyroid issues.  I just had my consult today...Have been told that the meds will just have to be adjusted as my weight goes down.

Hope things getting better of for you quickly!

Susan M.
on 4/22/14 11:45 am

That's good.  I think my doctors are a bit old school in their approach to hypothyroidism as well.  I was diagnosed and initially treated by an intern at my old family practice but have since moved.  

I rather miss her.  All the ratings for endocrinologists in my area are amazing for diabetes patients and near zero for thyroid patients.  As long as I keep pushing I seem to get the treatment I need which is what matters most in the end.

Day_dream_believer
on 4/22/14 6:32 am

At about 4 months my tsh was 24. It was previously normal. It took me over 2 years to get it back to normal. My dr ended up adding cytomel which helped a lot. The good news is that I was able to get below goal even though my thyroid was out of whack. It may have been slower than others but I was able to lose 155 pounds.  hopefully your Dr caught it early so it won't take as long for yours to get back to normal. 

Susan M.
on 4/22/14 11:42 am

24?  As in 24.0?  How were you able to move, let alone ever get from your bed to the Doctors office?  

It's encouraging to hear you made it to goal (and below) despite the thyroid issues.  

diane48
on 4/22/14 1:55 pm
RNY on 05/07/13

I had a problem with my thyroid med being absorbed until I started taking it at bedtime with no other supplements.  My levels climbed to 13 before that.  My levels are finally back to normal. 

Susan M.
on 4/22/14 3:00 pm

This could be a part of my issue.  I've always taken it at night so it wouldn't interact with cream in coffee etc, but I have probably been taking it too close to my bedtime vitamins.

I'll see what happens if I pu**** further away.  

Do you know if it would interact with the morning doses of iron/copper?  Because that would make life easier.

Day_dream_believer
on 4/23/14 4:11 am

Don't take it with iron.  I always take mine first thing in the morning alone.  Then I wait 30 minutes to an hour to eat or drink anything.  I take it 4 hours before I take other suppliments.  My schedule:

6:00 synthroid and cytomel

10:00 calcium, multi, vit D

12:00 calcium, multi

6:00 Calcium

10:00 iron and B and any other meds.

diane48
on 4/22/14 4:26 pm
RNY on 05/07/13

I didn't know what was interfering with it.  I would take it by itself and take the other supplements about 1 hour later and it was like I didn't even take it!  I try not to take any supplements at least 2 hours before if longer.  The sleeping pill that I take once in a while doesn't seem to effect it. 

Whatstoeat
on 4/23/14 2:49 am

It might be the way you are now absorbing your meds by mouth. Talk to your doctor about changing from a synthetic drug to a  compounded natural drug. That's what I had to do.  Good luck. 

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1481 views