Protein shakes and such...

burghblonde
on 4/23/14 12:23 am
RNY on 05/12/14

I have tried numerous supplements, trying to find ones which I am fond of and hoping like hell that my tastes do not change post-op. I am trying to find a good coffee flavored one, even though I am leaning toward just using a bit of real coffee in a vanilla shake (or ENS cake batter...YUMM!). Any suggestions?

How do you all roll with your protein shakes? Do you use a basic base (like vanilla or chocolate) and build by adding SGF syrups and other ingredients, or use different flavored powders? 

Also, has anyone tried the Syntrax items? I have a green apple that I am going to attempt at lunch but I am so leery on these for some reason.

Never Sell Out On Your Heart 

~ Heather~

Tracy D.
on 4/23/14 1:09 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I use Unjury Chocolate Splendor and add a heaping teaspoon of espresso crystals to it - delicious mocha shake!  It's my morning routine.  My husband makes his shake, brews a small cup of decaf coffee and then pours it into the shake after it's cooled a bit.  Much more coffee flavor and he loves it.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Newstart2014
on 4/23/14 1:31 am - NC

I like the Adkins cafe Carmel.

ShadowWolf3
on 4/23/14 1:40 am - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

I haven't tried the Syntrax yet but the guy at Vitamin Shoppe said the fuzzy navel one is good.  Someone poster a link to try different samples you can buy for $1.95 I think each at Nashua Nutrition. http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/protein-powders/protein-powder-samples-1-serving.html

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.- Benjamin Mays

HW:450, Consult W:371, SW:353

burghblonde
on 4/23/14 1:54 am
RNY on 05/12/14

Thanks! That is actually where I got all of my samples from. I am liking the chicken and beef soups, and I absolutely LOVE the ENS cake batter! I tried the Syntrax Green Apple today and hated it. Couldn't get it down at all. Perhaps if it was mixed with something other than water? I dunno.

My doc's office actually recommended the EAS Advantage for a quick grab and go source post op and they are really good, and a lot less expensive than some of the other premixed sources.

~ Heather~

dragonlove
on 4/23/14 5:06 am
RNY on 11/20/13

I really don't like any shakes mixed with water - luckily I don't have a problem with milk.  Do try again with milk - it is very different.  Also, if you want it thicker, use a blender and let it add air by blending for 2 minutes. Try the Fuzzy Navel one but I really did like the Green Apple, but then again everyone's tastes are different.

Get Egghead's Shake cookbook.  I know there's a link on here somewhere for it.  It is worth the $.  (And it has several recipes for coffee shakes) I love the "Frosted Orange"/ "Creamscicle" shake - make a vanilla shake, add a packet of SF orange mix (like Chrystal lite) and some vanilla SF pudding mix along with SF vanilla flavoring.... yummy!

Good luck - Hope you find something you like!

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Eggface
on 4/23/14 8:45 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I think you mean Nikki's Shake Book...  I don't have a book just the website http://www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com/ and pinterest board: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2014/04/eggface-favorite-protein-shakes-and.html

The Egghead made me giggle... it's Eggface ;) LOL

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

dragonlove
on 4/23/14 9:05 am
RNY on 11/20/13

OOOPS!!  Sorry Eggface.... I simply couldn't remember your name on here and since I'm a geek, egghead was a compliment!  I knew you had something to do with food, but you are right,  I was trying to reference "The Bariatric Foodie Guide to Perfect Protein Shakes" by Nikki Massie.  Sorry about that!  I think I got confused because I have looked at your blog and knew you did stuff with shakes and food.

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

burghblonde
on 4/23/14 12:17 pm
RNY on 05/12/14

I just saw your pinterest page with the shake recipes this morning! 

~ Heather~

Ladytazz
on 4/23/14 4:26 am

I have at least 2 protein drinks a day and I don't have a lot of money so unless I am feeling particularly wealthy I just buy Body Fortress at Walmart and fix it to my taste.  Currently I have it in the morning as a coffee drink and at night as a shake.  I use sugar free syrups, sugar free pudding and whatever else sounds good.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active