Hunger versus h of head hunger.

Bruce S.
on 4/23/14 7:40 pm, edited 4/23/14 7:41 pm - Chicago, IL
VSG on 03/24/14 with

I wonder what the differences between head hunger and actual hunger? I have never really known what real hunger is I've been heavy most of my life. And ate on a schedule usually or just grazed through day. Again my question is how do I fight head hunger, and how I define the difference between head hunger and actual hunger? I am only 30 days out of surgery. By the way I had the sleeve done on March 24, 2014.

have a great loss day

Bruce

JJ0609
on 4/23/14 8:16 pm, edited 4/23/14 8:17 pm

You will not feel true hunger after this surgery you will only get symptoms that is passed time to eat like (headache, lack of energy). However,  head hunger can be your mind telling you that it wants something to eat no matter if you just ate or have not eaten in a while. Most of the time head hunger is intensified when you are bored or emotional. Since you ate on a schedule keep a schedule to prevent your body from getting hungry-truly hungry and then you know it is not truly hungry when your mind tries to tell it wants something to eat. I hope this makes sense. Good luck. Did you know that you can chose the forum pull down tab at top and go to the surgery forum for the sleeve group? 

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

MsBatt
on 4/23/14 11:56 pm
On April 24, 2014 at 3:16 AM Pacific Time, JJ0609 wrote:

You will not feel true hunger after this surgery you will only get symptoms that is passed time to eat like (headache, lack of energy). However,  head hunger can be your mind telling you that it wants something to eat no matter if you just ate or have not eaten in a while. Most of the time head hunger is intensified when you are bored or emotional. Since you ate on a schedule keep a schedule to prevent your body from getting hungry-truly hungry and then you know it is not truly hungry when your mind tries to tell it wants something to eat. I hope this makes sense. Good luck. Did you know that you can chose the forum pull down tab at top and go to the surgery forum for the sleeve group? 

YOU may not have yet felt true hunger, but let me assure you that some people DO. Some don't feel true hunger for several months post-op, others feel it almost immediately.

Everyone is different. Please don't make sweeping statements like this, because they're just not true.

Tracy D.
on 4/23/14 11:34 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Over on the VSG forum, someone once posted that if you think you're hungry and 2 oz. of dense protein - like chicken breast - sounds good and would satisfy you, then that's "real" hunger.   If you want something else besides dense protein or it doesn't satisfy you, the "hunger" is all in your head.  

Hope that helps!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

DeweysGirl
on 4/24/14 12:34 am - UT

Thanks Tracy D.  Interesting idea.  I am always hungry in the evenings just like I was before my surgery.  I know it has to be mostly "head hunger" but I fight it constantly.  

Bruce S.
on 4/24/14 12:01 am - Chicago, IL
VSG on 03/24/14 with

Thank you all for it for all the help. This can helps me, I guess it is just boredom or that that's causing me to want to eat. I appreciate all the help, again thank you

have a great loss day

Bruce

Tracy D.
on 4/24/14 12:43 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My husband is the exact same way....he just had surgery two weeks ago.  He had a horrible habit of eating in the evening and he's fighting that like crazy right now.  It's absolutely not real hunger;  it's a bad habit that comes from years of pushing down emotions that tend to bubble up when we start to feel relaxed in the evening.  At least that's my experience.  And boredom or anxiety about being bored is an emotion!  

Hope you can get a handle on it because this habit will certainly short-circuit all the goals you have for yourself.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

kathkeb
on 4/24/14 9:55 am

An old Weigh****chers trick that helped me with evening eating is to brush, floss, gargle ...... And turn out the lights in the kitchen after my last snack.

Kitchen is closed ... And only water after that.

After a few days, it got easier 

Kath

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/24/14 2:03 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Try drinking water instead, are you getting enough? I've had head hunger b4 surgery and I'm pretty sure I'll get it after. I found out that if I drink water & my body does not act hungry afterwards that I needed to up my water intake, or maybe you have too much acid built up & need a ppi, or you can truly be hungry, stick with your dr eating plan & talk with him if symptoms don't improve. Good luck!

Most Active