Weight loss pre-op <35 BMI?

Lisa167
on 4/25/14 4:33 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Soooo I had my consult this past Tuesday.  My goal was set to lose 8-10 lbs. prior to surgery.  OK, fine.  Hate to say it, but been there, done that.  But with the new guidelines for eating after meeting with the NUT, and increasing the duration and frequency of exercise, I don't see this as a hurdle, but very attainable.  Then add in the two weeks of the liquid diet   That number didn't phase me.

The rub came in where my BMI to start is 36.7.  (I have a co-morbidity.)  So yesterday, after seeing I'd lost...8 lbs - yes - 8 lbs!, I kind of freaked.  What if I drop below a BMI of 35 before the surgery??  (That would take about 15 lbs.)

So I called and spoke with the PA and she said that was a very valid and rational question - but NOT to worry.  It's my starting BMI that counts.  Lose away!  However - there are some insurances (she said Tufts for example) that would DQ me if I went below 35 prior to surgery. BCBS-MA does not.  So I can continue improving my diet, learning to balance my meals, meal plan, exercise more, etc.  Get healthy for surgery, and my new life afterwards. 

Tracy D.
on 4/25/14 4:56 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

BCBS of NE doesn't disqualify you if you drop below 35 during the 6-month weight loss period as long as you started over 35 and have two co-morbidities (that was MY employer's plan of course).  However, my husband's insurance of Aetna did disqualify him because he got down to 35 and only had one co-morbidity...and they reasoned that it really wasn't a co-morbidity because it was "controlled" with medication.  *******s

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Lisa167
on 4/25/14 5:24 am
VSG on 08/14/14

^^  WOW

White Dove
on 4/25/14 7:32 am - Warren, OH

I had Aetna and was very careful not to fall below 40.0 BMI during my pre-op phase.  As someone else said, Aetna will then say that you can do it on your own and deny the surgery.  Even though you were told not to worry, it does not hurt to be careful.  Insurance companies can change their requirements at any time.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active