Bi-Polar Type II and Phentermine?

nikki050
on 4/27/14 2:00 am - Milwaukee, WI

I have nearly gained 100pds back from my original Gastric Bypass surgery. I feel like I am OUT of CONTROL! I cannot stop eating. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me. I have tried countless times to stop and start with a new day and I am right back to where I started. I've been on Phentermine before but recently diagnosed with Bi-Polar Type II. So, my lows are very low and last a while with very few "high" moments. I saw my surgeon last week and scheduled to see a nutritionist but couldn't get in until May 16th. I am waiting a phone call back from my Psychiatrist about his thoughts on trying Phentermine again with the new medication that I'm on. I have a feeling that the answer will be No. I had Gastric Bypass April of 2009 and lost 185pds. I was 390 and now I'm back to almost 300pds. I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm trying my best to seek help but I know I have to change my ridiculous eating habits that seem to never stop or work in my favor.

Feeling very loss and not in control anymore. Any tips or suggestions will be very helpful. :\

Nikki

JJ0609
on 4/27/14 3:39 am

Diet pills are not the answer. I will be surprised if any doctor prescribes them to you knowing you had RNY surgery. Knowing what you need to do is the first step. Reaching out for help is the second. Check! Check! You have done both of those. Now you need to come up with strategies. Go back to the basics! Limit your intake! Get in your protein and water and only eat what is allowed! You've got this if you want it! You can do it!     

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Amy R.
on 4/27/14 8:47 am

While I totally feel your pain, I'd strongly advise against going back to Phentermine or any diet pill.  Especially if you are Bi-polar.  If you've been on phentermine before, surely you remember it's effect on mood. Then there is the very real possibility of mood swings the likes of which you can't imagine if you mix that crap up with any psych drugs.

The biggest problem with drug therapy for obesity is that it won't help you in the long run.  If it worked, you wouldn't have had to get your surgery in the first place.  You'd likely lose a quick 30lbs and then develop a nasty tolerance to the stuff which would mean you would need to constantly be increasing your dosage, meanwhile getting a minimum return in weight loss.  Eventually you'd still end up having to go off the stuff - no one stays on it for life - and you'd be right back here where you started.  Except  your poor body and metabolism would be worse off for having been put through the diet pill wringer yet again.

Have you tried going back to eating the way you were eating when you were six to 12 months postop?  Protein first, veggies, minimal junky carbs, no drinking with meals?  It's the longer, slower road, but it's no "diet" and you'll never have to go on another diet again.  You can train yourself to eat that way for life and be free of the diet/binge/gain/diet cycle forever.

There is a group here on OH called Back on Track Together.  I don't know how busy that board is right now but I know it has helped some in the past.  Here's the link:   Back on Track Together Welcome Page

Lots of us have re-gained and re-lost.  It can be done.  We can do hard things.  Don't give your power to choose what food you put into your body over to a drug.  If any of those pills worked and kept working long term, none of us would ever need WLS.

Take care, and best of luck to you=)

amy

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/27/14 9:13 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Speaking as someone with bipolar II myself, I'd be concerned about going on any sort of stimulant. If I take anything with pseudoephedrine in it (cold medicine), it starts me slipping hypomanic and unless I notice it right away it's hard to break. I imagine the diet pills would have a similar, maybe worse effect.

Some psych meds can seriously screw with feelings of head hunger; my psychologist told me about a study (can't find the citation right now) linking serotonin and satiety. I know I've been on several that made me just RAVENOUSLY hungry no matter how much I ate! Maybe it's possible to switch to another psych med if the hunger issues could be linked to one of your drugs?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

jenn1469
on 5/4/14 8:09 am

Phentermine doesn't work with phscy meds and it will give you high ansixty

Most Active