Surgery on Tuesday April 29th-- totally cheated today on liquid diet

AliciaRenee84
on 4/26/14 2:15 pm
VSG on 04/29/14

So I am day five into my 7 day liquid diet and totally cheated today :-/ and I swore to myself I wouldn't no matter how hard it would be. Now I didn't totally overdo it, but I feel guilty and pray it didn't do any serious damage. No matter what from tonight on out, I will not cheat no matter who says it's not that big of deal. I'm having surgery on Tuesday and don't want to screw anything up. 

Has anyone else cheated on the mandatory liquid diet pre op???? 

msstaceya
on 4/27/14 1:26 am, edited 4/27/14 1:27 am - Orlando, FL

My surgery is Wednesday and I have been cheating also. They have to do an open DS on me instead of laproscropic  in so do u think it will matter

jbraeger
on 4/27/14 6:59 am

I think you will be fine. Just get back in the game. Congratulations and good luck !!

Member Services
on 4/27/14 7:19 am - Irvine, CA

Shake it off, it happens to the best of us

We are excited for you!! Congratulations.  Here are some links to information you may find helpful:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/photographing-your-weigh t-loss-surgery-journey/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosp tial-stay-what-to-pack/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-on-the-floor-self-c are-after-weight-loss-surgery/

We can't wait to hear from you post-op!

jdbrady07660
on 4/27/14 10:18 pm - Ridgefield Park, NJ

I had to do the liquid diet for two weeks before my surgery (I had my surgery on 4/1/14) and I cheated a couple of times. I didn't overdo it either, just get right back on track and you will be fine. Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted.

MsBatt
on 4/28/14 4:52 am

There is no virtue in a liquid diet. None whatsoever. The real 'goal' is to get plenty of protein and as few carbs as humanly possible. So how did you cheat? With a steak, or with a bag of potato chips? Steak good, chips BAD.

AnneGG
on 4/28/14 10:40 am

Um, what about the surgeon's requirements???

I agree with forgiving one's mistakes and learning from them and working at doing what is requested. By my surgeon.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

MsBatt
on 4/28/14 11:36 am
On April 28, 2014 at 5:40 PM Pacific Time, AnneGG wrote:

I agree with forgiving one's mistakes and learning from them and working at doing what is requested. By my surgeon.

Surgeons' whims don't count in real life. Are you saying that because her surgeon requires a liquid diet she should stick with it, but it's okay for someone else whose surgeon did NOT require it to eat real food?

Doctors are not all-knowing, which should be obvious by the number of different pre- and post-op guidelines they hand out.

AnneGG
on 4/28/14 12:22 pm
On April 28, 2014 at 6:36 PM Pacific Time, MsBatt wrote:

Surgeons' whims don't count in real life. Are you saying that because her surgeon requires a liquid diet she should stick with it, but it's okay for someone else whose surgeon did NOT require it to eat real food?

Doctors are not all-knowing, which should be obvious by the number of different pre- and post-op guidelines they hand out.

So you're directly saying a person shouldn't follow their trained licensed experienced surgeon's recommendations? Because they each have different approaches?

But someone should follow the recommendations of a nonprofessional stranger on the internet?

Wow! Count me out!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

MsBatt
on 4/29/14 1:20 am
On April 28, 2014 at 7:22 PM Pacific Time, AnneGG wrote:
On April 28, 2014 at 6:36 PM Pacific Time, MsBatt wrote:

So you're directly saying a person shouldn't follow their trained licensed experienced surgeon's recommendations? Because they each have different approaches?

But someone should follow the recommendations of a nonprofessional stranger on the internet?

Wow! Count me out!

I'm saying that the guy who finished last in his class in medical school is still called 'Doctor'.

Since many surgeons DON'T require a liquid pre-op diet, it's clearly not that big a deal. She shouldn't be beating herself up because she 'cheated'. The stress is worst for her than whatever it was she ate.

The ASMBS says that pre-op diets in no way predict post-op success. This is a view arrived at by studying actual patients. I'm pretty confident in their results.

As for counting you out---gladly, Anne!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1498 views