Pre-Op Liquids, liver shrinkage, 12 days or 7 days.

Aes85
on 4/27/14 11:30 am

Hi everyone!  Ok so, I have my surgery on May 21 for RNY Gastric Bypass.  Now, I have high triglycerides so I'm pretty sure I have a fatty liver.  The next time I see my dr. will be on May 13th (a week before surgery).  On that day the dr. will give me my pre-op diet information and be on clear liquids for 7 days to prepare for surgery along with pre admission tests at the hospital.  Knowing that I have a fatty liver, I want to take extra precaution and put myself on a full 2 weeks of this pre op liquid diet to really shrink my liver and give myself an even better chance at a very successful surgery!  I just don't want any surprises so I'm going above and beyond to minimize the chances for complications.  That would mean I would start my pre op diet on May 6 on my own before seeing my dr.  I have read a lot already about what I can have during this stage and my dr also went over this with me (sf jello, crystal light, broth, strained soups, sf popsicles).  Can you guys help me out and give me even more things that are safe to drink? 

I have bought so far:

Premier Protein Shakes (chocolate one from costco)

Optimum Performance Isolate Whey (chocolate shake)

Cytosport 100% Whey Chocolate Protein Powder

SF Jello, SF Pudding

SF Popsicles

Chicken Broth (I plan adding some flavor with spices)

Chicken Noodle Soup (strained).

I bought three difference chocolate protein shakes bc i need variety lol even if it's so slight from brand to brand lol.  I was wondering, can I eat SF pudding in this stage or should I save it for post op?  Any other soup ideas?  I am pretty sure the soups have to be clear and strained, not pureed in this phase.  Am I correct?  any other creative uses?  I like variety lol.  I'm a sucker for sweet tasting things lol, but everything is sugar free!  I am gonna be drinking Pho (vietnamese soup), strained, which I love as well.  I have read lots about Unjury Shakes, and EAS...any thoughts about the taste?  I don't mind have 5 difference shakes and just rotating lol, just need ones that I forget are even protein shakes and taste more like chocolate milk or whatever delicious lol.  I'm so excited for this phase believe it or not, because I can conquer it with good decision making.  Obviously its going to be hard and I probably will feel miserable in the beginning but I just really want to overcome this phase and do well!  No cheating! lol.  Oh by the way, anyone have any personal experiences with Cytosport, Optimum Nutrition, and Premier Protein shakes? opinions?

Thank you all in advance for your feedback!!

Darkwingdc
on 4/27/14 1:02 pm - MI

I am on day 14 of 22 and I an have un sweetened applesauce.

I did find Swanson has a Mexican flavored broth.  I have that for dinner.  Its kind of spicy and I dont like spicy but it makesme feel like I am eating real food. 

Aes85
on 4/27/14 1:44 pm

Oh really!?! Wow 22 days? That's quite a long pre op diet! Almost there though! Do you remember the exact name of the Swanson broth? I absolutely love spicy food so I am sure I will absolutely love it! Any other broths that you enjoy or strained soups?  I would love to be able to go into the grocery store w a list lol 

Darkwingdc
on 4/27/14 3:28 pm - MI

:0( I cannot have any other types of soup. Just the broth.  The Swanson is card Mexican tortella broth. They have a hot and spicy one and then another one i can't recall the name of it. 

Aes85
on 4/28/14 2:36 am

I'm totally buying it lol.  it sounds delicious..and I'm a sucker for spicy!  Thank you!  

MsBatt
on 4/28/14 12:29 am

It takes several months to actually shrink your liver. People on here talk about the pre-op diet as a liver shrinking diet, but it isn't---all it really does is deplete the glycogen stored in the liver, making it less slippery and easier to handle. any sensible, low-carb diet will do this---there's nothing magical about a liquid diet. Eat high protein, good fats, and as few carbs as possible.

Fat people have fatty livers. Your surgeon should have plenty of experience in dealing with them.

Aes85
on 4/28/14 1:18 am

Hey thanks for the reply.  Yes, my surgeon is one of the best in Houston and all he does is wls procedures.  I just want it to be super easy for him to handle my liver.  I have read that low carb diets are just as effective, but I guess the liquid diet feels much more restricting so I know for myself at least, it will be easier for me not to cheat. Up till my liquid diet I'm having low carbs and high protein to ease myself into the hardcore diet lol.  

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/28/14 6:28 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

People talk about the pre-op shrinking your liver diet as something that their doctor has told them, the dr probably explained it that way because it's probably easier to understand than explaining glycogen storage or slippery livers. I was told that with weight loss the first organ that recognizes that lost the most is your liver.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Aes85
on 4/28/14 7:36 am

exactly, my doctor gave me just a layman's version that this diet will facilitate the surgery and the whole process...whether it makes it smaller or less slippery, I don't care about the reasoning but more so the outcome...if it makes surgery easier, I'm gonna do it! 

Aes85
on 4/28/14 2:51 am

For anyone reading, try out the Swanson infused broths in Mexican Tortilla, Thai Ginger, and Chinese Hot and Sour! 

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1115 views