Gained 40 lbs back in 3 years.

KKKennedy
on 4/28/14 7:09 am - AL

I had lap band seven years ago and lost 110 lbs. The last three years I have been going through menopause and lots of stress. I have put back on 40 lbs and this is very hard to deal with. I know  need hormones because of mood swings, hot flashes, etc. I have also been put on Topamax for headaches caused by stress. My doctors want me to take something for anxiety that I know I need but need to loss weight also. I really neeed advise on which hormones to take and which anxiety meds to take that will not cause weight gain. Also has anyone ever gained weight on Topamax. Please help I am so unhappy about this and so are my loved ones!!!

WandaW
on 4/28/14 7:23 am - Hartsville, SC

I take Topamax for migraines and haven't gained any weight because of it. I take 150mg a day. Not sure about anxiety because I need that also.  They say Topamax helps curb the hunger unless you eat out of stress.  Not sure about the hormone issues only your doctor can advise you on that.  Good luck you are on the right track by reaching out.

TexasTerritory
on 4/28/14 8:33 am
VSG on 07/22/13
I have taken Xanax for years and it never caused me to gain weight. My weight gain was due to poor planning--I skipped meals and then would devour a pizza as quickly as possible to stop the hunger.

I am still taking my meds and am losing weight by making healthy choices. Medicine is really something you should discuss with your doctor as well as hormones. I need my meds to be functional and am happy that they are available to me.

Good luck.

AnneGG
on 4/28/14 9:50 am

Have you considered a revision?

I think anti-anxiety meds and hormones recommendations and decisions need to happen with your doctor.

Some of the meds do cause increased hunger which contributes to weight gain, but some of them have less of that side effect. Topamax usually has the side effect of weight loss and anorexia or loss of appetite.

I hear your pain. But please talk with your doctor.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Amy R.
on 4/29/14 12:55 pm, edited 4/29/14 12:56 pm

Personally, I wouldn't even LOOK at a revision until you do some research into what caused the weight gain.  And then put one last concerted, planned effort into getting the weight off without more surgery.

There are lots of folks *****gain, and there are just as many reasons.  Have you looked into what you're eating? As in journaled your food for a few days and maybe counted up some calories just to see where you are at?  I don't have a band, but don't you also have the option of confirming that yours is filled to the correct level?

There are bandsters here that have lost their re-gain and are happily back where they are comfortable.  You might try posting on the Lap Band Forum to see what feedback you get there.  Here  is the link: Lap Band Forum  

Also, there is a bandster here on OH whose name is Kate.  She has been very successful with her band long term and is happy with it.  She also had re-gain that she lost again.  You might hunt her down; I don't know how to link her profile here.

Just my two cents - but I sure wouldn't consider cutting again until you've tried everything else. 

edited to add:  One of the more common side effects of Topomax is weight LOSS.  And lots of us take anxiety and and hormones and just choose to make the necessary adjustments to our food intake to maintain a comfortable weight. So there is hope there as well.

AnneGG
on 4/29/14 11:03 pm

Thanks, Amy, for your response to my post. Excellent points.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

JJ0609
on 4/28/14 8:02 pm

Please do not think I am being harsh  but meds. should be referred by doctors not by a message boards or friends. However, here is my experience. I take Topamax twice a day for headaches and have not gained weight. I had a partial hysterectomy and was prescribed the hormone Estridol 2mg at bedtime, as well.

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

JJ0609
on 4/28/14 8:03 pm, edited 4/28/14 8:03 pm

What part of AL? I am about 1.5 hours from Birmingham.

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Kate -True Brit
on 4/30/14 6:38 am - UK

Hi, Amy pointed me at your post. I can't comment at all on the meds because I know nothing about them! But I have had regain, not once but twice. I have been banded 8 years and at around 4 years out I gained 28lbs and now again (having lost that 28), I have gained about 28 again.  There is reason for 28! In the UK we talk in stones not pounds and 28lbs is 2 stone. And 2 stone presses my panic button!

the basic fact is that, with or wthout meds to affect weight, we simply have to eat fewer calories than we take in.  I am post-menopausal and don't have hormone swings but they do say it is harder to lose after the menopause. 

So just chiming in to say that it CAN be done. I went back to how I ate in my losing phase, protein first, then vegs, then carbs. About 1200 calories a day. First time round, I lost the regain quickly. This time it is harder! Much harder. I am fighting! But I intend to win.

We did it once. We can do it again!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1437 views