Weight Gain Im worried

aliassweets
on 4/29/14 9:33 am

I had surgery 10/2011 Lost 85 lbs. In last Id say 10 months Ive put on 20-25 lbs. How can this be? Yes Im back to some of my old habits but I thought this couldn't happen if I ate smaller portions. I also have IBS and want to try the new Med call Linzess  does anyone know of this and can someone who has had a gastric bypass use this? Im really depressed about the weight gain. I do blame some of it to the terrible long winter we had here in the Midwest. Who can eat salads when your freezing and hard to stay away from the bone sticking foods. Any idea how I can get yself on track again IM so depressed with myself

scoobyluvr1
on 4/29/14 9:58 am
RNY on 10/21/13

Sorry you are experiencing regain and feeling depressed. Whatever has gotten in the way you can get back on track...go back to focusing on eating protein forward in the proper quantity etc. I have heard good things about a group here on OH called back on track together if your looking for support from others in the same situation. Might be a good place to start. 

~Ronda~  

Can you hear me now? Only on R&R 3.0 PM me for an invite!

aliassweets
on 4/30/14 4:07 am

Thank you I will look into that

kathkeb
on 4/29/14 10:55 am

That is about 1/2 a pound a week, which is only about 250 excess calories a day.

Scary, huh?   That is one reason I weigh weekly and get concerned after 3 or 4 pounds creep on, because they can sneak up on us.

Cutting 500 calories a day (through food or exercise) will stop the gain and set you toward losing about 1/2 pound a week so you can get back to where you were.

Good luck!!!

Kath

White Dove
on 4/29/14 11:10 am - Warren, OH

Every year after surgery, it takes less calories for me to maintain my weight.  At two years out, I could eat 1800-2000 calories a day and stay the same.  Now I have to stay between 1200-1400 or I will start gaining.  Ignoring the scale is what will get me into trouble.  I weigh every day.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

MsBatt
on 4/29/14 11:10 am

Do you journal your food? If not, start. I bet you're eating too many carbs. Where your calories come from is just as important as how many of them you eat. Also, if you had the RNY, you're probably reached the end of the period of time when you malabsorb calories, so even if you're still eating the exact same amounts as you did immediately after surgery, you're absorbing more.

Amy R.
on 4/29/14 12:33 pm

I totally get your pain.  Try not to be so hard on yourself.  It happens to a lot of us postops as we get further out.  Personally, I put on 40lbs in just a few months early last year.  My surgery was almost 5 1/2 years ago. Just got the last of it off.  It took awhile, but it's much easier with the pouch than it was preop.

The same things that helped you lose in the beginning are the key now.  No pill or pouch test or "diet" is going to work long term, and if you're like me, you're tired of the whole diet/regain/diet cycle anyway and want a way to eat comfortably for life.

Protein first, veggies/fruit, maybe a carb or two.  Some folks don't do carbs at all. I had to start weighing myself everyday again also, to keep myself accountable.  A lot of folks also don't do the scale thing though and it's certainly not necessary.

What happened?  For me, grazing and bad carbs were the culprits.  I dump horribly and have severe RH, but you can still eat a pound of candy in a day if you eat just a few pieces at a time.  When I realized how many calories were in the garbage I was eating it was an eye opener for sure. Try and move your body as much as possible/comfortable.

You're about 2 and 1/2 years out?  You may be dealing with the loss of your malabsorption.  That can cause a fairly rapid, unexpected gain as well. Although it's not likely, you may also have a physical issue with your pouch or stoma so if you feel the need you can get that checked just to rule it out. 

The thing is, I absolutely *knew* what my 'problem' was.  The same problem I had pre-op: not eating correctly for my body.  I think a lot of us know inside what we have to do. We just kinda got used to not having to do really anything if we didn't want to for awhile.  That time has likely come and gone for you now though if you're a couple of years out.

As a previous poster mentioned, OH does have a "Back on Track Together" Forum.  I don't know how much traffic it's getting lately, but you might want to have a look.  Here's the link: Back on Track Together

Anywho.  Give yourself a break.  You caught it early.  It'll be much easier to take off and keep off it you address it before it gets overwhelming.

amy 

Tracy D.
on 4/29/14 11:46 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

A terrific and thoughtful response, Amy!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Amy R.
on 4/30/14 3:27 am

=)

aliassweets
on 4/30/14 4:12 am

Thank you Amy . It's the grazing for me also

Most Active