Looking for help with mobility

Chantaigne
on 5/1/14 6:46 pm - Pinebrook, NJ

Right now I am starting out from the beginning and was just put on a special diet. My biggest issues are that I am unable to excersize because I have low blood oxygen levels and am on oxygen 24 hours a day. I am easily winded and at  risk for a lot of issues if I over exhort myself. I am pretty much stuck at home most days except for the occasion run to the store because they have the electric scooters I can use. My insurance company wont pay for a wheel chair or scooter unless I need it in the home for everyday life and since I am capable of walking a few feet back and forth I do not qualify for a chair or scooter through insurance. I am a single mom of a disabled adult and we are both trying to survive on disability so I cant afford to buy one either. Does anyone know of places that help with costs or donate scooters or electric wheel chairs?

Mary Gee
on 5/1/14 10:09 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Sorry I don't know of any specific places that help with scooters/electric wheelchairs. I'm basically in the same boat, but have some help when I need it.  The "home" restriction is stupid, in my opinion.  At home, there is furniture you can hold on to for assistance.  Are we not supposed to be able to go out anywhere?  My SO wants to go to Salem, MA, or to the local park - I can't do it.  Even with my cane, and his help, I can't walk without pain.  When I go to the hospital for appointments, etc., I have to have the transport service bring me to where I'm going because I can't walk the distance.  Maybe you could ask at Center where you're going.  Or check E-Bay or Craigs List.  I've seen some listed on Craigs List at reasonable prices.  Like you, I'm hoping the surgery will resolve a lot of my issues.

As far as exercise, there are "chair exercises" you can do.  I looked on YouTube and found some.  I have mobility problems and heart problems, but these exercises are doable - they don't cause you to be winded.

Good luck on your journey.  In the beginning it seems like a long road - but after a while time starts to fly.  I started in October, and I'm scheduled for surgery on May 14th.  You'll be busy with appointments and meetings - but it will be worth it.  Keep fighting for yourself.  I know you have a lot of everyday issues (I read your blog).  Be strong for yourself and your son.

You can do it!  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 5/1/14 10:39 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Hello I want to offer some help. Are either of you on medicaid? If you are then I am guessing you have a case manager of some sorts through social services. Again I am NY so can only go by how it works here. I would say call them and they may know of places that help. If not then perhaps go to the local hospital and ask the case manager there of perhaps your doctor. Hope this helps.

Chantaigne
on 5/2/14 2:09 pm - Pinebrook, NJ

for the first time in 20 years I have gotten insurance now through the state. I have an hmo/Medicaid but they are the ones with the stipulation that you nust need the mobility in the home in order for them to cover it. I have no case manager.

Valerie G.
on 5/2/14 4:21 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Check with your local county resources.  You'll usually find them around the county seat.  Even if you dont' officially qualify for government assistance, there may be some volunteer organizations that would be willing to help.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Hislady
on 5/2/14 5:30 am - Vancouver, WA

Well ladies join the club I'm in the same boat even tho I have lost a lot of my weight (no thanks to my surgery but that's another story). My insurance did cover a wheel chair however I had to have and order from my doc explaining why. My wheel chair provider said if I needed it to get to the car for doctor appts. it was covered. Maybe things just aren't being ordered right. Try it again and then you can appeal if they deny it and you can get your doctor involved to try getting one. Good luck!

As for exercise I know of a lady who was much like us and could barely get out of her chair. She started by just marching while sitting in her chair. Eventually with just diet and exercise she ended up losing over 100 lbs and now goes for miles long walks! It just takes starting somewhere. I just started again after being in the hospital with heart issues by riding my stationary bike. I'm only up to 5 min. but I started at 30 sec. so eventually I 'll get up to more minutes. It's harder when we have physical issues like heart and lungs but it's not impossible. Keep putting one foot in front of the other and eventually we'll get somewhere!

Mary Gee
on 5/2/14 12:06 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Hislady--

Your info about being qualified if you need to get to the car for medical appointments is interesting.  From what I've read, I thought you had to need the scooter in your home in order to qualify.  I've never actually applied, because I live in a mobile home and wouldn't be able to use it in my home.  Based on what you say, I'll look into it after my surgery on 5/14.  Hopefully, strength and mobility will improve.

Regarding your stationary bike - is it a recumbant (sp?) bike?  I have heart issues too. I used to love biking and wonder if a stationary bike would be doable.  I do have issues with neuropathy and have trouble walking.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175