need help

Bretnie23
on 5/3/14 2:56 pm - Springfield , OH

hi I just got insurance, Caresource, and I am interested In bariatric surgery. What do I need to do to start this process can I go straight to the surgeon if I find one or do I have to go through a doctor and how long is it required to be on a diet because I've been On one  for 6 months now but will the doctor make me do it all over again? Also how do I go about finding a bariatric surgeon because I live in Springfield Ohio and I don't think we have any here

Hislady
on 5/4/14 4:35 am - Vancouver, WA

First you need to find out if your insurance covers bariatric surgery, call the number on the back of your card. If they cover it then ask them for a list of local bariatric surgeons. Most insurance companies that require a diet want it to be supervised by your primary care doc, so that he can keep track of your weight and how you are dieting. The insurance company can tell you all of the requirements that they have and often the surgeon has his own requirements too. Good luck to you!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/4/14 5:11 am - OH

You will likely have to travel to either Dayton or Columbus for a bariatric surgeon.  I would suggest contacting Caresource to 1) verify that they cover WLS (and which one(s)), and 2) find out which surgeons take Caresource, and 3) to find out what the requirements are to get approved (e.g., how much extra weight you need to have, what kind of pre-op diet, psych evals, etc. you need).

There are now only two main groups of surgeons in Dayton (one through Sycamore hospital and one through Miami Valley).  I personally wouldn't even consider using the third group.  I know of at least 3 bariatric surgery groups in Columbus, including a group at OSU, but there are probably more.

If Caresource requires a pre-op diet, yes, you will have to "start over" unless you can show documentation that your primary care physician has been supervising it and checking your weight at least once a month.  

Good luck.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1399 views