Weight loss has nearly stopped.

Deb W.
on 5/4/14 5:11 am - Sioux Falls, SD
RNY on 03/31/14

I have been very frustrated the past 3 weeks as I have only lost 2 pounds. How is that possible? I am 5 weeks post surgery. I lost (on average) a pound per day for the first 2 weeks and have basically not lost since. I work out 5-6 days per week, eat as close to recommendation as possible, drink my water and take my supplements. What am I doing wrong?

Deb W.
on 5/4/14 5:12 am - Sioux Falls, SD
RNY on 03/31/14

I should say that I lost 36 pounds before surgery as well through exercise and diet.

Kate -True Brit
on 5/4/14 5:19 am - UK

You don't tell so which surgery you have had and that obviously makes a difference. But whichever it is, you have lost an enormous amount of weight.  36lbs pre-op, around 16lbs post-op. 

Weight loss often happens in"jumps"  and you need to look at the longer term picture than just three weeks. It is also very common to find there is a pause in loss a few weeks post-op. You lost well for three weeks then stopped. Use the search tab to read the literally hundreds of threads about three week stalls, early stalls, slow loss post-op.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Cunning_Pam
on 5/4/14 5:20 am
RNY on 12/18/13

If you are following your doctor's plan, then you are not doing anything wrong and you will keep losing weight. It just doesn't happen steadily for most people...it's a continuous cycle of lose, lose, lose, no loss, no loss, lose, lose, lose. If you look at the trend over time, you will see your weight going down, however. It is very common for people who have had weight loss surgery to experience a pause in losing right around three weeks after surgery, which is seems is your case. Use the search function of the site and search for "three week stall".

Keep up your hydration and stick to your surgeon's plan regarding your food intake. If you do that, you WILL lose, just not steadily.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Bette B.
on 5/4/14 5:27 am

Most likely, you're not doing anything wrong except needing to relax. This is not going to happen overnight.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Alma_Barillas
on 5/5/14 1:52 am
RNY on 12/20/13

Sometimes I lose nothing for 1 week then lose 5 pounds in one week it's frustrating but it can't happen overnight :)

The Best Is Yet To Come

MsBatt
on 5/5/14 5:50 am

What are you doing wrong?

You're being impatient. (*grin*)

Seriously, stay off the scales. Weigh only at your doctor's office. Relax. Everything's fine.

applegirljae
on 5/7/14 11:38 pm
On May 5, 2014 at 12:50 PM Pacific Time, MsBatt wrote:

What are you doing wrong?

You're being impatient. (*grin*)

Seriously, stay off the scales. Weigh only at your doctor's office. Relax. Everything's fine.

Ahh, I love this answer :-) You could have used it on me a month ago. 

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/5/14 6:04 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Click on the little magnifying glass at the top of your screen and type in "STALLS."

Get used to them.  It's your body's reaction to the changes due to surgery and diet.  If you're doing everything according to plan, the weight will come off.  Don't expect it to be at the same rate as it was during the first month.  It's not gonna happen.

Relax, you're doing great.  You didn't put the weight on as quickly as you now expect to lose it.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Nierdemi
on 5/5/14 10:39 am
VSG on 04/09/14

Deb,

I understand your frustration only too well.  After my sleeve, I lost 17 pounds in the first 8 days and I have not lost a pound since.  In fact, I  gained 3 lbs!  I will be 4 weeks post op on Wednesday and I too am exercising, getting my protein and eating about 650 calories per day.  I was beginning to think I was the only person on the face of this earth that this surgery has not worked for.  Hopefully, weight loss will kick in soon for both of us.  Good luck to you.

Most Active