So frustrated!

melody S.
on 5/4/14 2:26 am - Morgantown, WV

I restarted the process of having RNY last year. I had done a one-year supervised weight loss with my PCP, and only needed to have the evaluations. I have finished all the evalsd, and have been waiting to hear from the surgeon's office about the surgery. I have been trying to get hold of the woman at the office in charge of this, but she's either with a patient or not there when I call, so I have left numerous messages. Then I found out last week that about one-two weeks prior, the clinic I attend for therapy and such received a letter from the surgeon's office, enquiring as to when I am going to have the psychological evaluation. I had the psych eval in December. At a different office. I called the other clinic, and they said they would refax the letter the psychiatrist sent them last year.

A few months ago, when the woman at the surgeon's office deigned to talk to me, she told me I needed to have everything done quickly because my supervised weight loss would expire soon, and i would have to go through it again. I don't know when it's set to expire (she never told me), but I have restarted it just in case.

I'm so frustrated! I could have had the surgery at the beginning of the year, but there always seems to be some reason why I can't, even though I have jumped through every hoop they've put in front of me. I've had every eval. I've seen my PCP. I've seen the surgeon. Every time I leave a message for Chelsea to call me only to not receive a call back, I feel as if they don't want me to have the surgery for some reason. I've done everything they've asked of me; why can't I have the surgery? If I wasn't so desparate, I'd just throw in the towel.

Hislady
on 5/4/14 4:13 am - Vancouver, WA

Oh you are way too nice! I would have camped in their office until I got an answer and I would suggest that is exactly what you do. Altho myself I might just find another surgeon that actually cares about their patients because if they are this horrible before surgery can you imagine what your aftercare is going to be like? Was the 1 year diet required by your insurance or the surgeon? If it was the insurance, find out how long it is good for because I wouldn't trust this office person to know what your insurance requires. I wish you good luck!

TexasTerritory
on 5/4/14 4:26 am
VSG on 07/22/13
I would go to the office and wait for them to tell you what's happening as well as mention this situation to the surgeon during a visit.

mesmithie
on 5/4/14 4:52 am
with

I can really understand your frustration because I went through a similar situation. I went to two bariatric surgeons in the area. One was closer and more convenient but both had great ratings and reviews. Because of a previous surgery I had in that area, the more local doctor wanted to see the surgical notes from the prior surgery. I said no problem and I emailed them to him the Monday before thanksgiving. I called and confirmed the coordinator received them and she did. She said the doctor would call me the next day. He did not. I called again and she told me that he had only been in a short time and did not review the notes but would the next day and call me.  He did not. On Wednesday at 5:30 PM I left a message with the doctor that is farther away because I wanted to clarify a couple things in the packet they gave me. I knew they would not be there but I just left a message. I received a callback from them on Friday morning at 10:00 AM. My decision was made. I proceeded with the one that is farther away.

Now here is the funny part. January must have been a slow month for the one that is closer because the same coordinator that confirmed the receipt of the surgical notes in November called me and said that it seems I cancelled an appointment with the dietician and did I want to reschedule it? I said I had a couple questions for the doctor and could he call me. 

He called me and I told him that I had sent the notes he wanted to see and here were the answers (excuses) he gave:

"Yeah, I know. The girl was supposed to call you but someone must have put your file away" to which I asked "How can that happen?"

"The papers must have gotten misfiled. We get so many papers from so many doctors..." to which I asked if there was not a proper filing system in place.

And this was my favorite: "Ahhh you know how it is, too many chefs..." to which I responded that perhaps he needed a head chef and I would be happy to send him my resume.

I explained to him that no matter how good a surgeon he was, no doctor is better than their support staff.

What if I called and was having a problem post surgery and nobody called me back for two months?  He says oh thats different. 

Had my surgery 12 days ago with the farther away surgeon and I feel pretty darn good and it is comforting knowing that if I have anything happen when his office is closed the responds immediately as the office phone forwards to his cell phone.

So the moral to my long winded story is GO TO A DIFFERENT DOCTOR! haha Use the patient reviews on this website to evaluate other doctors in your area. There are tons of reviews and they are very helpful. But dont trust your life and your health to a doctor who is non-responsive because you could be seriously endangering your health.

mesmithie
on 5/4/14 4:56 am
with

One more thing, all those prerequisites should still be relevant for your insurance. For example, if you met with a psycologist, that report belongs to you, etc.  

Cunning_Pam
on 5/4/14 5:26 am
RNY on 12/18/13

It's understandable that you're frustrated. Every once in a while we see these kinds of posts about doctor's offices that just don't seem to care enough to do the job right. I think that it's in your best interests to go to the office like a previous poster said, and do not leave until you get to speak with Chelsea (make sure it's a day that she's there before you go). Find out from her what's going on, and do not let her blow you off with vagueness. Ask her what do they have on file, what else do you need, and when can you get your surgery scheduled. Pin her down to dates and specific requirements, and make sure that she tells you that whatever she says you need is ALL that you need. If this doesn't work, you may want to email or snail mail your doctor. It's possible that he/she has no idea just how bumbling the office staff is, and would quickly right the situation once becoming aware of it.

Good luck!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

melody S.
on 5/4/14 5:26 am - Morgantown, WV

The supervised weight loss was for the insurance company. I will call them tomorrow and see how long it is good for. As for the surgeon? He's the only one in my area. The next closest is 90 minutes north, in Pittsburgh PA I live in Morgantown, WV), and my insurance wouldn't cover it because it's outside of my network. It's dr. akkary or nothing at this point. :(

I think the receptionist at my surgeon's office is getting sick of the sound of my voice. We're going to be on a first name basis soon.

poet_kelly
on 5/4/14 5:31 am - OH

Call the office and ask to speak to Chelsea's supervisor.  Or drive there and tell the receptionist you will sit in the waiting room until Chelsea has time to speak to you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active