Monthly "visitor" and surgery on the same day

ChangingShape66
on 5/6/14 12:07 am
VSG on 06/24/14

I am having the gastric sleeve surgery on June 23.  My menstral cycle is due to start the same doggone day! UGH!!! I have a very heavy first few days.  Should I move my surgery date?  I will already be embarrassed having this obese body on display, but knowing my cycle and flow, I am concerned.  Thoughts and advice would be appreciated.  I already have a call in to my surgeon and primary care doctor, but I am impatient! 

Love yourself...

burghblonde
on 5/6/14 12:14 am
RNY on 05/12/14

I was a tad nervous about that as well. I have endometriosis and have the mother of all cycles, irregular with heavy flow. Thankfully my surgery is Monday and I just finished so I should be fine....at least that is what I was thinking. At my last pre-op visit I was told by the team that because of the massive changes in your body it is very common to start another cycle almost immediately after surgery. I opted for the RNY but I would assume that the sleeve would have the same effect.

My advice would be not to change anything because in the end it may not matter anyway. Also, trust me, there is nothing that the nurses or doctors have not seen before. Don't be embarrassed or feel insecure about it. It's a perfectly normal occurrence. No worries! Best of luck to you!!!

Never Sell Out On Your Heart 

~ Heather~

56sunShine14
on 5/6/14 12:41 am

I would agree with the above post.  But if it will help, call the surgeons office and ask the nurse how she thinks you can deal with it.  surely this can't be their first time.

Amy D.
on 5/6/14 12:44 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12

Don't worry about it. I was having my period, and it was pig-slaughter heavy, and nobody cared. Nurses were very matter of fact about it. They're used to it, trust me. Just one more bodily fluid they have to deal with. You'll be fine.

Good luck with your surgery!!

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
kathkeb
on 5/6/14 1:08 am

I would not reschedule.

My cycle started almost a week early, on the day of my surgery .... It is very common and not something to reschedule for.

You will probably have a pre-op appointment or at least a phone call from the hospital, and you should mention it then .. And ask how best to prepare.

My surgical center had me remove my tampon and replace with a pad when I gowned up 

Kath

Sandy M.
on 5/6/14 3:20 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Trust me, the hospital is prepared for it.  Mine came on the day before...they have these huge panties with pads in them they'll make you wear, but it's no big deal.

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

EmmyK
on 5/6/14 8:31 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

I'm an OR nurse and I will tell you in all truth:

We don't care.  At all.  This is nothing to move your date over.  Your surgeon's next opening is probably about 28 days later... ;)

Let the nurse who gets you ready in holding know what is going on.  They can probably give you a pair of disposable mesh panties (one size really does fit most.)  Or, you can probably leave your underwear on.  Be sure to let the circulating nurse aka the nurse that comes and explains that they will be the nurse taking care of you in the operating room (don't tell anesthesia...they don't need to know and don't wanna know.  LOL.)  They will return your underwear to you after surgery (doubtful you'll be wearing it in recovery.)  But, let's face it...you won't need that underwear for long!  They can always take off your underwear after you are asleep and put a new pad in place for while you are asleep, as well as a larger pad under you.   (About 2% of my patients leave their underwear on even though we've told them to take it off.  And don't get me started on body jewelry!)

This is absolutely nothing we haven' t seen before!

Depending on your stress level, it is possible your period might be a little late.  Or come a little earlier.  In any case, this is nothing to worry about in regards to the staff.

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

tjones0820
on 5/6/14 9:30 am

I actually started the night before and when I arrived for surgery I advised my nurse of the development.  She handed me a pair of hospital underwear and sanitary napkin,tampons were also available, and I had to wear them for surgery.  I am also a pretty heavy flow the first few days and it caused no issues because as soon as I was in my room I was able to refresh the napkin.  About 6 hours after surgery I took a shower and put on a pair of underwear and a napkin that I brought from home.  My surgeon thought it was pretty funny that I was even worried about it because it played no role in the surgery nor recovery and his surgery dates are booked for months so the delay would have been not only unnecessary but inconvenient.  I hope this helps :)

mbentz
on 5/7/14 12:41 am - Somerset, PA

Don't give it a second thought.  I was all pleased with myself at the time of my surgery because I had just finished my period.  I thought "What great timing!"  Yeah, right.  Because of the trauma to my body, I started another one the day after surgery.  Ha ha!  That's what I got for being so smug!

HW 282  SW 270  GW 160  CW 150
PHAT_at42
on 5/7/14 12:52 am
DS on 03/12/14

Do you take birth control pils? If so just start a new pack instead of taking the last row...that should prevent you cycle from starting or at the very least minimize it. I would not reschedule the surgey.

m1=23, M2=11, M3=4(had stall for 3wks), M4=6 M5=6 M6=6 M7=4 M8=3

I am a VSG to DS revison!

Most Active