The Bread Option!

kimikim
on 5/6/14 1:04 pm - rockford, IL

Question:  Is bread a no no after WLS?  I have done a Google search for information, but the replies are all trying to sell me something.  Have any of you been told to refrain from bread or starches?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Kimikim

Racewalker48
on 5/6/14 1:29 pm
RNY on 02/17/14

My surgeon told me that no food is off limits per se.  With that said, my surgeon also suggested "limiting" dry foods like bread, pasta and rice as they are carbs for one (less nutritious than protein) and they tend to get stuck in the pouch of a RNY patient.  I have had a little bread after surgery, but don't eat it regularly.  

Chilipepper
on 5/6/14 2:07 pm

Just get bread and starches out of your head until maybe a maintenance.  Did you take a nutrition class before surgery?  No one should have surgery until they have extensive education about post op life. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Cunning_Pam
on 5/6/14 2:54 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

My surgeon's office says that if I want to be successful, then no more bread. Not ever. Never. Now I understand their reasons for this philosophy (mostly empty calories, lots of white carbs, expands in the pouch) and do have a slice of well-toasted low carb bread once in a great while, bit I pretty much consider it to be written off my diet and consider it an only occasional treat.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

White Dove
on 5/6/14 3:08 pm - Warren, OH

They are telling you the truth.  I did add some high fiber low carb bread back at about five years out, but very rarely eat any.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

White Dove
on 5/6/14 3:06 pm - Warren, OH

Anything with wheat flour, rice, potatoes, pastas, crackers, breads, pastries, cookies, pies, cakes, are things to give up whether your plan says that they are OK or not.  They will slow down your weight loss and keep you from maintaining.  Stick to high protein and low carb veggies until you are well into maintenance.

True maintenance starts about year three.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

MyLady Heidi
on 5/6/14 6:11 pm

I eat whole grain bread and brown rice without issue.  But I am also nine years out and at goal, I would avoid all white carbs completely.  I still cannot eat pasta without getting pain so I avoid it.

Kate -True Brit
on 5/6/14 6:46 pm - UK

It would be helpful to know which surgery you have had.

i have no forbidden foods at all and I have eaten all foods both while losing and while maintaining. While losing, I tended to avoid obvious high calorie, low nutrient foods like white bread but if I really wanted them, I had them. I have a lapband. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

dreeves1
on 5/7/14 1:39 am

Toast you bread is what I was told.

HFA70
on 5/7/14 11:06 pm

Same here.  I have 1/2 a slice of toast with peanut butter and a greek yogurt some mornings if I'm short on time.  Other than that I stay away from breads, muffins, cakes, etc.  I will have on the occasion a spoonful of pasta or rice with dinner, but that's very infrequently.  I have never tried eating bread untoasted and I plan on staying away from it.

Most Active