How long was the surgery? and pain afterwards?

NorthernHusky
on 5/8/14 1:53 am

Hi just wondering what kind of pain to expect after the surgery.. and how many hours is the procedure?

Tracy D.
on 5/8/14 2:09 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

It will depend on which surgery you're going to get and whether they do it "open" or laproscopically.  With those details we can give your better feedback.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

poet_kelly
on 5/8/14 2:26 am - OH

Which surgery are you having?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

NorthernHusky
on 5/8/14 2:32 am

gastric bypass

poet_kelly
on 5/8/14 2:33 am - OH

I think it normally takes about an hour or just a little more, if you have it done laproscopically.  The amount of pain afterward really seems to vary from person to person.  I would call what I felt more discomfort than pain.  Moving around, getting up and down was uncomfortable for the first week or so.  I could do it, it just was not pleasant.  It was bearable with pain meds.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Valerie G.
on 5/8/14 2:34 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Open procedures are usually shorter, since there is no blowing you up with gas and maneuvering tools around a maze.  I would expect around 2 hours under.  Pain will be managed nicely with narcotics and mobiliity will be very limited for a few days, not that its any excuse to not walk 10 laps around the nurses station.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/9/14 1:54 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I can't speak to everyone's surgery, but my RNY was a LAP and took 2.5 -3 hours.  I also had an umbilical hernia repaired at the same time.  The recovery was what I expected.  It was painless, but it wasn't intolerable, either.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Cunning_Pam
on 5/9/14 2:19 am
RNY on 12/18/13

My RNY took about an hour and a half. Pain was just about non-existent; I think my surgeon's use of the Q-ball pain medication system did a lot to help that. What pain I did have was well controlled with medication. There was a little discomfort, yes, but nothing unbearable.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

healthyme1963
on 5/9/14 2:36 am
RNY on 03/18/14

I had a lap RNY and other than a little gas pain for a few days afterward, I had minimal pain.  Like others have said, it was more a feeling of discomfort, rather than actual pain.  My friend, who just had open RNY three weeks ago, used her pain meds for only a few days after coming home from the hospital and is doing great now.

Life is short, break the RULES, FORGIVE quickly, KISS slowly, LOVE truly, LAUGH uncontrollably, & NEVER REGRET anything that made you SMILE.  

Most Active