Anyone read/tried lowering weight set point by eating -Lean protein + Veggies + Starch every...

Carl S.
on 5/7/14 7:58 am
with

Trying to help. They said if your weight stalled it's because your body is maintaining a weight set point. To lower it lose 10% of your body weight and maintain it for 2-3 months, then lose another 10% and repeat.

This is a way to permanently keep your weight like that.

try walking not exercising vigorously 20-30 minutes daily

1- At every meal eating 1 piece of lean protein (steak, fish, lean meat, chicken breast, turkey breast) + Veggies (broccoli/cauliflower/) + 1 starch every meal (brown rice, beans, legumes, potato, steamed carrots, peas, corn).

2- consume at least 450-500 calories every meal cos it will make your hunger last 3-4 hours.

3- Walk 20-30 minutes every day. It's not difficult it's just walking. Treadmills or just outside walking.

4- Sugar withdrawal be ready: for the next 2-4 weeks you will crave sugar and your body will feel weak, fatigue, dizzy, but they go away in 1-18 hours. After 2-4 weeks sugar craving will go away.

5. You are allowed to eat unlimited veggies, anything that is meat, eggs or veggies are unlimited since your body is adjusting sugar cravings for the first 4 weeks. Boiled eggs only got 80 calories. It's better to eat a lot eating the right foods instead of eating a lot of the wrong foods. Fruits are allowed like 1 apple per day or few grapes or 1 fruit serving.

6. After your perseverance of 2-4 weeks your body will not crave sugary foods.

You might crave sugar but hang in there for 2-4 weeks and the sugar craving and withdrawal symptoms will go away.

So far for me it turns out to be true but I gotta get a treadmill because it's hot outside to be walking 30 minutes. My treadmill motor is broken.

I got this help from friends, online and by research. If anyone is interested let's try this out and tell me something you'd like to add to help peeps.

"Perseverance is the secret of pros"

MsBatt
on 5/7/14 10:50 am

I read an article the other day that said not eating enough protein would cause you to overeat in general. I suggest upping your protein and decreasing your fruits, veggies, and grains.

Linda_S
on 5/7/14 10:56 am - Eugene, OR

I don't know how this would work for people with normal metabolism, but I can tell you that I eat only protein and vegetables (I can't have any refined carbs, even whole grains), and I walk between 3-5.5 miles per day.  My weight stays the same.  All I can tell you is do the best you can to eat a healthy diet.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Carl S.
on 5/7/14 1:29 pm
with

What counts is long term calories. Have you considered drinking some tea which burn extra calories daily?

Since you are doing everything right, only protein and vegetables, are you eating starchy vegetables like corn or carrots or peas? cos those have high carbs?

Broccoli and cauliflower have low carbs and they are veggies. You know another thing is to eat almost the same meals meaning not to have a lot of variety of stuff to eat. You know how people who try to get 6 pack abs they don't eat a whole variety of meals? Like they have

little variation?

Good feedback

Linda_S
on 5/7/14 5:07 pm - Eugene, OR

Carl - I have a severe condition, hypoglycemia and hyperinsulinism.  They think I have nesidioblastosis.  I don't think there's really any magic bullet for food combos or magic potions.  You just have to do the best you can to be healthy.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

MsBatt
on 5/8/14 11:44 am

What counts is long term calories.

Nope, not really. The source of those calories is very important for most of us metabolically-challenged folks. Most of us are VERY carb-sensitive.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/7/14 11:16 am - OH

Nope, I'm not buying it.  Eating carbs in both veggies and a starch at every meal AND having unlimited veggies (most of which have carbs) would NOT result in weight loss for most people.  Simply too many carbs.  

Depending on your metabolism, though, eating "only" 1500 calories per day might result in weight loss regardless of the number of carbs. For me, though, it would result in slow weight gain since 1400 calories (even with only a moderate amount of carbs) is my limit in order to avoid weight creep.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Carl S.
on 5/7/14 1:19 pm
with

Eliminate the starches then? unlimited veggies (broccoli, cauliflower have very little carbs) however, the other starch veggies like carrots, corn do have a lot of carbs

so I believe.

Do you think this sounds better? 1 Lean Protein + Veggies (broccoli, cauliflower which have low carbs) No Starches then, no fruits, no veggies that have a lot of carbs like carrots, peas or corn.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/8/14 4:38 am - OH

I see no need to eliminate anything entirely (that is a diet and is not sustainable LNG-term by anyone I have ever known), but I do believe that minimizing carb-heavy fruits and veggies is necessary for long term weight maintenance. 

I also don't believe in unlimited amounts of anything (no matter what the Weigh****chers folks say), because unless it is calories free, the calories eventually add up.  More importantly, the snacking/grazing habit becomes ingrained!

I am a couple of months away from 7 years out and every summer I have to be careful about what else I eat in order to enable me to up indulge in the fresh fruits that I love (berries, watermelon, and cantaloupe... yum!!)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kate -True Brit
on 5/7/14 12:02 pm - UK

I have always eaten protein, veggies and carbs at almost every meal and I snack on fruit. That was what my doctor and nut told me to do. Worked for me both while losing and maintaining. But 1500 calories fir me would not make me lose weight. I lose on 1200 and maintain on about 1700-1800. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active