Do you get your energy back?

Lisa167
on 5/9/14 6:08 am
VSG on 08/14/14

I'm going through the preparations for RNY.  My swallow study is just less than two weeks away.  I've been reading a lot of really positive outcomes and experiences, and they're so encouraging.  But as I've worked to correct my diet and increase my exercise, I'm finding I'm just flat out exhausted!

I'm 51, and have spend most of my life wishing for a cure to being overweight.  My highest was 265 (that's when I stopped getting on a scale, I know I went higher).  I know that there are people who have struggled more than I, but it's a struggle no matter how you slice it.

My fear is...I lose the weight and I don't change.  I'll still be lazy.  Because...I tend to be lazy.  I'm tired. What if I don't feel better?  What if I don't have more energy?  The surgery doesn't scare me, no more than any other surgery really.  It's this.

I've always blamed having to carry around x number of lbs. that wore me down.  But has anyone gone from someone with little energy to at least "normal" energy after dropping the excess weight?

I know I have co-morbidities and that's nothing to fool with, and it's my overall health that is truly the reason for pursuing this.  It would just be a kicker to feel like I'm still running on empty, say 6 mos. post-op.

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 5/9/14 7:05 am, edited 5/9/14 7:05 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

I feel like I'm a lazy type of person, too. (Although I work full-time and go to school part-time.)

But before surgery, I was ALWAYS exhausted. Right after surgery, I was exhausted (of course). But after 8 weeks or so, I felt completely back to normal. 

Now that I've lost 95 pounds, I can tell you I have a lot more energy. I play tennis with a co-worker after work three times per week, I go hiking with a friend every Saturday morning, and I started taking weekly salsa dancing lessons. I'm not going to lie though -- I still have days where I don't want to do anything except sleep, but I think that has more to do with depression than with my physical body.

If there isn't an underlying reason for your exhaustion (like depression or some illness), then I'm fairly certain you will feel more energetic once you get the weight off!

Good luck with your journey! 

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

Lisa167
on 5/12/14 12:31 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Sorry for being MIA...It's been a busy weekend away from my computer.

Thanks for your reply :-)

I don't *think* there's an underlying reason.  I work full time, volunteer another 12 or so hours a week, and do some coaching during the month.  But if I get home...and there's nothing to go back out and do, I just want to see the inside of my eyelids, or relax and watch tv or something.  But I know there's a million other things I should be doing.  I don't know...it's weird.

I really do hope that I'll feel better after surgery, and once through the recovery period, find some energy so when I have a free day all I don't want to do is sleep. :-) But I think some times your body tells you what you need, too.

Cunning_Pam
on 5/9/14 7:23 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I started out much heavier than you, so I can completely relate to what you're saying. I was exhausted all. The. Time. I'd wake up and feel like I could immediately go right back to sleep. I'm also a very lazy person! Have been for a very long time, I'm afraid. But since losing the weight I have already after surgery, I've noticed a huge difference in my energy levels. I feel awake and ALIVE most of the time now! Last week I got up, bustled around the house cleaning for a bit, went out to get groceries, came back and cooked breakfast for my husband and then woke HIM up to come join me on the deck for breakfast. He asked me "Honey, did you take something??"

I don't remember ever feeling this good. And the more I lose, the better I feel and the better I look, and the better I WANT to feel and look, so the more I do. It's the reverse of the old cycle where I felt like crap, so I ate to try to make myself feel better...you may know the rest of *that* song.

You'll probably feel a bit run down for a couple of months after your surgery. But once you start losing the weight, I think you may be surprised at just how much energy you have.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Lisa167
on 5/12/14 12:34 am
VSG on 08/14/14

It's very encouraging to hear this Pam. :-)

Hmmm...energy to clean the house?  Is that possible? lol

Mac333
on 5/9/14 9:07 am
VSG on 04/24/14 with

I recently had a VSG (2 weeks post op) and posted on the same topic of lack of stamina. I also thought of myself as lazy in the past despite working full time and taking care of a house. Now that I am retired and have more time I have been volunteering and working in a ministry community I belong to. Still that "idea" of laziness has haunted me. Right now I am tired following surgery and not doing much but have been assured by my Dr. and OH members this is a natural part of the process. The body needs to heal and rest. Everyday I feel a bit better and try to do a little more if I can. If not I listen to my body and rest. I know in the back of my head that the fear of being lazy is also floating around.Which I will be working on as I take this journey. I guess one of the biggest things any of us an do is learn to listen to our bodies and not so much our thoughts. Hope all goes well with your surgery and your recovery.

Mac    HW  234   SW   204.8   CW   190     M1  

" The favors of the Lord are not exhausted,His merices are not spent; they are renewed every morning so great is His faithfulness"     

Lamentations 3:22-23

Lisa167
on 5/12/14 12:40 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Thank you, and I hope your journey continues on successfully.  

I guess it's not uncommon to have these doubts or fears.  

Best of luck with your recovery :-)

AnneGG
on 5/10/14 1:08 am

I just had to push myself to walk from the first, starting a couple of months before surgery, and doing short distances building up. For me, it was a vicious circle, hating and avoiding exercise and getting more and more tired.

I also pushed myself after surgery, and that has made a huge difference for me, because after a short while, I didn't and don't feel right not doing my exercise. I walk at least 2 ½ miles pretty much daily now, often up to 5 miles. For the first couple of years I ran, but had to stop when my doc said it was too hard on my bones. 

Sometimes I just have to carry my yelling head throwing a temper tantrum out the door, but now my walking has become habit, one day at a time no matter what I feel like, no excuses. I had to make myself walk through my fear and my wanting to avoid doing what I needed to do. I've managed to make a positive cycle of doing more and feeling better, and have lots of energy now.

We do have to do the work if we want the payoff- simple but not at all easy. For me, it's been more than worth it.

Like you, I did my surgery for my health, and I have kept that as my focus rather than my weight. My last physical and blood levels were perfect, and I'm 63! Of course, I also love being a lot smaller now.

I also keep it green- I don't ever ever ever (did I say ever?) want to go back to the way I felt physically and emotionally before surgery if I can possibly help it. I feel so much better both ways now. I can't believe the difference. I'm proud of myself and like living in my skin.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Lisa167
on 5/12/14 12:51 am
VSG on 08/14/14

OMG...the walking! lol  Yes, that's me.  I told them I walked about 30 minutes 3 or so times a week.  They said make is 60 minutes 5 times a week.  So I went out and got a fitbit and jumped right in. Oh, my aching flat feet!  I get two days in, one day off, etc.  My feet hate me, but I do it.  I get in over 10k steps a day and work in a 60 minute walk.

I haven't done it since Thursday.  Why?  Because Friday morning when getting ready for work, my foot went one way, and my pinky toe went another. Holy Cow that hurt.  It's still swollen and purple.  But I can walk almost normally on it this morning.  So I'll try and go for my walk today.

But what's ironic is, even with the added exercise, and following the food plan (tracking on MFP), I'm not losing.  Go figure.  Guess that's why I'm here, right?

Looking at what you've accomplished, that's fantastic!  And I agree, it's not for the looks.  That's a bonus.  Sure I want to look better - but that's not why I'm doing it.

GingerJen
on 5/10/14 5:16 am
VSG on 03/07/14

I think exercise is so much fun now. I like to make goals and push them further and further! I do have more energy and I wake up in the morning feeling...awake! It's a bizarre feeling!

37 y/o female 5'8" HW 355 consult 329 SW (3/7/2014)301 CW 168 goal 170

M1- 26 M2- 14 M3- 15 M4 -13 M5 -16 M6-12 M7-2 M8-5 M9-6 M10-8 M11-1 M12-5  M13-10 Goal reached 4/5/15 total lost 187 lbs total; 133 in the 13 months since surgery