Struggling with water intake and nausea???

SReyes71
on 5/13/14 2:44 am

I had RNY. I am at my 3 week mark today. Today I have drank about 10 ounces of herbal tea. 8 ounces protien drink mixed with water and am now starting on a 16 ounce bottle of water. The protien drink does not taste bad but it is too sweet for me. It makes me feel sick. Its 24 grams of protien for 8 ounces. I try to drink 3 a day. I dont know how else to get my protien in. Everything else taste god aweful atleast this one tastes good but its just too sweet. The nasea is getting to me. I dont feel weak or anything just like Im going to get sick at any moment. I dont know what else to do. I am taking the nasea medication perscribed but I dont think it is helping. Everything Im doing is with in the guidelines.

MPD
on 5/13/14 3:43 am

U may want to call your doctor if this is going on for three weeks

SReyes71
on 5/13/14 4:20 am

The nasea I am experiancing has been off and on. Last week I had to go get an IV becase I was dehydrated. I felt much better after that but still struggle with the fluids. Im not sure if its the sweetness of the protien shake? I have to find another way to get protien.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/13/14 5:30 am, edited 5/13/14 5:31 am

Dehydration will cause nausea. If you must drink protein drinks (and there are successful people who did not), there are unflavored options. My advice, however, would be to focus on water intake and gradually build up to getting your protein intake.

Citizen Kim (a very successful long term vet) taught me a valuable tip when I was new, and it is this: Aim for 30 grams of protein per day in 30 days, 60 grams in 60 days, and 90 grams in 90 days. Nausea and dehydration are more immediate concerns than getting all of your protein right off the bat. You can work up to getting your protein in.

When I was early out, I was told to drink protein shakes. I didn't like most of them, and I was really glad when I could start on food again.

edited for clarity

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

SReyes71
on 5/13/14 5:51 am

This sounds much easier. I think I try this. Thank you! I feel less overwhelmed now. I appreciate it.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/13/14 6:14 am

We're here for you, so let us know how it goes.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Most Active