No insurance options

MonicaLS
on 5/13/14 9:57 pm

I just found out that our insurance does not cover bariatric surgeries, or any weight loss related treatment.  I am crushed, as I've been doing a lot of research, and truly feel that this would be a good option for me.  The bariatric group I have consulted with has a 'self pay' option, but the surgery will cost over $24,000, not including all of the pre-op evaluations, and they want payment prior to the procedure.  How does one afford something like this??  It is like buying a car!  I'd love to hear about some of the options/experiences people have had with self pay options.  Thanks in advance!

ashlee00
on 5/14/14 4:26 am - Fort Lee, VA
with

A lot of people like myself who have to "self" pay are going to places like Mexico. I already scheduled my surgery for Jan and it's only costing me 8k.

ReginaPhelange
on 5/14/14 7:49 am
RNY on 02/24/14

I had the same problem, I moved to a private policy for my companies group policy.  My monthly premium went from $300 per month (company plan) to $336(private plan) 

My Private plan went into effect 1/1/14  I gave the new insurance info to my Doc on Friday 1/10/14  surgery was approved on Monday 1/13/14

RNY was on 2/24/14

You have options without going to Mexico. 

RNY 2/24/14. HW 274ish. SW 259 GW 135

Mane2016
on 12/18/15 8:43 pm

Hi Regina,

I also don't have insurance and found your post about private insurance helpful. Can you give some info about the insurance company ou used or how you decided on it. I've considered Mexico but having kids and a family, I find it a little scary to go out of the country for the procedure. 

Anything you can tell me will help. 

Thank you in advance. 

MsBatt
on 5/14/14 7:53 am

A lot of people pay more than this for a new car.

This is your LIFE. Please research EVERYTHING before you give up or settle for less than you want. Going outside the US is a very reasonable option.

MonicaLS
on 5/16/14 6:27 am

Thank you for your replies!  I will weigh my options.  Not thrilled about traveling outside the country for a medical procedure, but wow, the financial benefit is huge.  Thanks again!