Words of motivation needed

Fireed
on 5/13/14 11:05 pm

I am 5 weeks post op, and I my will power is faltering.  Any motivational words would be appreciated.  I think is am going through food mourning.  

Tracy D.
on 5/13/14 11:13 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I don't know if this will be motivating but it will be real:  willpower is worthless in the fight against obesity.  Read that again - willpower is WORTHLESS!   Has willpower ever helped you win the battle of the bulge?  No, because willpower is fleeting.

Willpower won't get you through this journey; a sound food plan and consistent execution of that plan WILL get you through this.  Figure out what you're going to eat every day (I do this the night before) and don't deviate from that plan the next day.  Do that every single day for weeks in a row and you will see the scale go down and THAT will be your motivation :-)  

Will you go through a mourning process with food? Sure...I did.  At one point I told my husband I was really sad because the surgery had sucked all the joy out of eating.  I even shed tears over not being able to drink Diet Cherry Coke anymore!   Post-op, eating was a chore, something I didn't even look forward to.  However, this feeling will pass and there will come a time when you will begin to enjoy the food you are eating and you will look forward to the healthy choices that are available to you.  Promise!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Fireed
on 5/14/14 12:38 am

This was motivating!  It is honest and good advice.  Thank you!

Tracy D.
on 5/14/14 12:43 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You're welcome 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

dreamer56
on 5/21/14 4:27 am - Vienna, Australia

Wow! That was very motivative. I think that even if you were hopeless, you would feel power within now. Great words. 
Well, everyone who asks for motivation. learn 1 simple thing. You can do everything! You are strong enough to achieve your goal. Do not wait that someone will say you some warm words. Think that you are already said all tips for weight loss. If you give up, you just waste your time on feeling sorry for yourself and this way you stop youself from reaching your goal.

Cunning_Pam
on 5/21/14 9:21 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Tracy, I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your posts!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Tracy D.
on 5/21/14 9:45 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Thanks, Pam!

JT3
on 5/14/14 12:00 am

I am coming from a different perspective as I just had surgery, but I had a good insight from the hiring I do.  After a few years some of the guys start working they are having a crisis of motivation also.  I pull out a resume they sent in looking for the same job they have.  I ask them what was the issue, what changed, and where that guy who sent the resume in was. There isn't a single act that changed their perspective, but it usually is the habits and friends they fall into.  I encourage them and you to surround yourself with other motivated individuals, and to keep a journal of what their initial reasons for getting into the job to begin with was.   Every feeling you are having is valid, it's what you do with those feelings that impacts your actions.  If you are mourning food, understand that is a valid emotion.  If you hate the surgery and by proxy yourself for having the surgery and feel deprived from a false notion of fulfillment, then all you are doing is negatively reinforcing the issue and that will cause a break in willpower.

validate that you miss some foods, but understand there are a lot of reasons you decided to let them go from your life.  Find a healthy substitute that will give you a sense of fulfillment and eat something else.  You will still be full and fulfilled at the same time. At the point you aren't hungry and in a positive mind frame, reevaluate what that craving was really telling you, what was the underlying root cause of it.   It should at least give you something you can record in your journal for the next moment (this will all be temporary) that you can draw on for strength.  Hope this helps some.

JT3

“Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity. They seem more afraid of life than death.” –  James F. Byrnes

“In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.” – Albert Einstein

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1345 views