Where to begin?

Timeladycontagious
on 5/14/14 6:18 am

Hi everyone. 

I'm brand new around here and considering WLS. 

I'm 24, SAH mum of one, 5'5, 260 lbs and have a BMI of 43.2

After seeing my endocrinologist today, I'm seriously considering weight loss surgery.  

I'm really not sure where to start on the path to a healthy weight and I'd appreciate any advice you have to offer. 

Thanks a bunch,

Cat

Gwen M.
on 5/14/14 7:12 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I believe that your first step should be calling the number on the back of your insurance card and finding out what your coverage is.  Then you can go from there!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MsBatt
on 5/14/14 7:26 am

Start by educating yourself about the four major forms of WLS---the Band, the VSG/Sleeve, the RNY/gastric bypass, and the DS/duodenal switch. Until you fully understand all your options, you simply can't make an informed choice about which, if any, form of WLS is right for you.

I didn't get serious about WLS until I was 20 years older than you, and MUCH heavier. My only regret is that I waited so long to take charge of my health.

WLS isn't magic. You WILL have to do some hard work, and you WILL have to make some changes in your life, permanently. That's kinda how diets work, too---but with WLS, you have some help making those changes, especially if you choose the form of WLS that best suits YOU.

Yen years ago, at age 45, I had the Duodenal Switch. I am still thankful each and every day I made this decision. The only regret I have is that I waited so long to make it.

Read everything you can get your hands on. Ask questions, but weigh your answers. Most people who are less than 3 years post-op are still "in love" with their surgery, no matter what. Talk to people who are 5+ years out to get the real low-down on the pros and cons.

And---good luck!

HAS
on 5/15/14 1:57 pm

To begin with your statement.  You have already made the correct decision. Needing help is one thing admitting it is another.  I have had Lap Band done two years ago. The Doctor, and his staff all work there best to assist you. They have modules 10 sessions  on eating disorders. They have ev body lined up to assist you.

I had mine completed at Alberta Health two years and I am just now drawing to a close on my visits. 

The cost is covered by my medical system.  Please go and chat with the clinic and they will help you arrive at what is best for you.

HAS

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1379 views