It's been a long time

jillbeme
on 5/14/14 11:01 am
Revision on 07/29/14

Former lap band  who had it removed due to rejection now sleever who had ZERO weight loss.  I hired trainers,dietitians followed the diet to a t. Never lost a pound.  So I gave up.  Now I am at my wits end. I weigh more now than I ever weighed.  Called the previous surgeon now in New Mexico I'm in California.  I am considering hypnosis.  The other surgeon I spoke to stated I should move forward with the dueondle switch.  I have celiacs disease, high blood pressure and severe depression.  I'm so confused.  Need to find a friend in common and start step one.  But where do I begin?

SReyes71
on 5/14/14 2:59 pm

I'm not sure what dueondle switch is??? But If you have done lap band and sleeve and did not get any results I would think the last resort would be the RNY gastric bypass. Its the most permanent but of corse it is still just a tool. This is what I had done. I am in my 4th week post op. I lost 20 pounds already but am currently in a stall. but its just temporary I have seen and witnessed so many success stories with the RNY.

Just my thoughts ... I wish you the best in your search for the right option for you.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 5/14/14 5:54 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

It is a Duodenal Switch, or commonly known as DS. There is a DS forum on OH. It is the most powerful of all WLS and requires strict compliance with vitamins and minerals supplements. It is the second part of a sleeve so it is very natural for sleevers to revise to a DS. With the DS the malabsorption is permanent, for life. Not so with the RNY. If the OP needs a revision, the DS is definitely the most logical way to go.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Kate -True Brit
on 5/14/14 5:46 pm - UK

If you have followed your doctor's plan exactly and not lost weight, there must be a medical cause. And hypnosis isn't going to change that. Rather than a third surgery, you should be finding out why your body spparently needs fewer calories than the 800- 1000 which I believe is the norm for people with the sleeve (I am not sleeved so someone may correct me there). 

Either you are eating considerably more than you think you are or there us a physiological probiem like a severe thyroid condition.  

So your first step should be your general doctor for blood tests etc..

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

White Dove
on 5/14/14 10:38 pm - Warren, OH

I have seen some surgeon's diets that are not realistic for sleeve patients.  The people who are successful with the sleeve are eating 600-800 calories a day.  If your surgeon's diet was higher, that is why you did not lose weight on it.

While RNY has malabsorption and not every calorie you eat gets absorbed, with the sleeve, every calorie counts. 

Start tracking your food intake and see what your total calories per day are.  If more than 800 that is why you had zero weight loss with the sleeve.  In your case the DS might be the right answer for you.  It allows for weight loss while consuming far more calories than are eaten with the sleeve or RNY.  With the DS there is permanent malabsorption. 

Your next step is to consult with a DS surgeon.  You already have the sleeve, which is the first part of the DS.  All a DS surgeon has to is create the second part of the surgery which involves the intestines and gives you permanent malabsorption.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Gwen M.
on 5/15/14 12:59 am
VSG on 03/13/14

To me, it sounds like you've got mental stuff going on that would be best addressed by mental health professionals.  If you failed to lose a single pound with the sleeve, that seems like it's got to be a compliance problem and no other surgery will be able to fix that.  See a therapist, get your brain sorted out, and then try working your sleeve.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/15/14 10:29 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I think Gwen might be right.  You are better off spending your money on therapy rather than hypnosis.  There's something else going on here.

It is physically impossible not to lose weight if you reduce your caloric intake.  Have you ever watched the TV show "My 600 lb Life"?  Some of the people featured did not lose weight after WLS and still insisted they were eating the "right foods."  The camera showed them eating huge portions of the WRONG foods.

I do not say this to insult or hurt you, but you've already had two WLS.  Unless you have a serious medical issue, there's no logical explanation as to why you can't lose weight at this point.  I wish you the very best at working out your issues.  Please let us know how you're doing.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/15/14 11:48 am - OH

Yes, either you have a serious metabolic issue that you need to have addressed or you only think you are following the proper diet plan.  In either case, hypnosis isn't going to help.  I doubt having the DS will help if you have lost zero pounds with the band and sleeve.

I have honestly never even heard of anyone who didn't lose a single pound with a sleeve (or even a band, for that matter) at least initially.  I am having trouble imagining how it would be physically possible for someone to take in as little food as it is possible for us to eat immediately after ANY of the weight loss surgeries and not lose anything at all.  

Your body requires about 10 calories per pound each day just to support your body functions with a normal metabolism.  That means for someone who is 200 pounds, it takes 2000 calories a day just to keep breathing.  If they take in less than 500 calories, they are using 1500 calories more than they are eating, which means that they should lose a pound about every 2.5 days.  No one uses only 500 calories a day even just laying in bed all day. The science of it doesn't add up.

I would suggest a two pronged approach: an appointment with an endocrinologist to see what is happening medically and an appointment with a therapist to find out what may be happening psychologically (to at least help with the depression if nothing else).

I hope you find an answer.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active