pre op diet

shall0927
on 5/15/14 2:00 am

Ideas for per op diet.

I've been having protein shakes with fruit but what I'm reading is that's too many carbs. Even milk w peanut butter shakes too many carbs, just the shake mix has 17 g of carbs 8( I've been doing good as far as sticking to it but I'm not really looking pounds, even though I am for sure loosing inches. I have 3 weeks left to loose 15 lbs so I have to REALLY figure it out! 

Any suggestions?

poet_kelly
on 5/15/14 2:35 am - OH

What does your doctor recommend for the pre op diet?  17 grams of carbs seems like a lot.  Maybe choose a better protein shake.  I like Syntrax Nectar which has 0 carbs but I also like Syntrax Matrix which I think has 6 carbs.  But I would not want a shake with 17 grams.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Gwen M.
on 5/15/14 2:38 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I mix my protein powder with unsweetened original Almond Milk which has significantly fewer carbs than milk.  It might be worth trying out.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MsBatt
on 5/15/14 4:00 am

There is NO virtue in a liquid diet. NONE.

A 'diet' of about 1500 calories, coming from a high-protein, low-carb meal plan is ideal. Losing pounds before surgery doesn't really mean much---what you want to do is exhaust the glycogen stored in your liver, and going low-carb is how you do that.

Eat as much protein as you can. Your body will need this to heal after surgery. 'Good' fats, too---olive oil, nuts, etc.

shall0927
on 5/15/14 5:06 am

I don't meet w the nut u untilone week prior to pre op again. I have met w her once but it was about just better food choices in general. I brought back the expensive shakes and got something different w half the carbs. I also got light almond milk and it has 1 carb!! 

The Dr said I have to do a liquid diet from may 27th thru June 11th 

I am preparing. The reason is supposed to be to shrink the liver. I have a ton of fruit that I've been using for shakes, do y'all eat fruit? I also do peanut butter /chocolate using Ovaltine and some times banana shakes.

Valerie G.
on 5/16/14 1:48 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Fruit and ovaltine all have lots of sugar = carbs.

This will not help you meet your goals, I'm afraid.  If you like coffee, try mixing them with coffee to enhance the flavor without all of the extra sugar.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

shall0927
on 5/16/14 4:05 am

Yea I stopped the fruit shakes. What about berries?  I was putting it w kale!! Omg soooo good!! I bought almond milk  and sugar free hazlenut syrup! I can't do coffee 8( I just don't like it. Although idk maybe w the hazlenut

Valerie G.
on 5/16/14 4:55 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

berries are still fruit 

Kale is interesting- NOT fruit.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

shall0927
on 5/16/14 4:07 am

It seems so crazy that I'm eating in a whole week the amount of calories I was eating in a day...I should be melting away.... 8(

Most Active