Newbie here, a few questions regarding after surgery

GoBlueGirl1998
on 5/15/14 3:02 am - MI

Good Day!

I'm new on here! I was referred by a friend. This is a great site with so many great questions, responses, suggestions & general support. I started a 6 month program that is mandatory by insurance. Once that is completed I "should" be approved for surgery. In the meantime I'm working thru the psych part of this all. I have lost weight, however I have never maintained. I know this a guide and its a lifestyle change. With that being said, how do you deal with an ethnic family where all holidays, birthdays, get togethers revolve around food? I'm Polish and food is the biggest part of every celebration. I can already see my Babcia shaking her head at me because I'm trying to make better choices and not pork +  pork + more pork + a side of carbs!

Also, has anyone had lymphadema and had surgery? I have lymphadema in my left leg. I have seen the size of leg fluctuate depending on my weight, but it has never gone away. Can anyone tell me what happen with their lymphadema after surgery?

Thanks in advance!

poet_kelly
on 5/15/14 3:22 am - OH

When I go to family gatherings, I either find out ahead of time what will be served and decide what I'll eat, or else I take something healthy but really yummy for myself.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

pickles999
on 5/15/14 3:29 am - Canada

Everyone will get over it...they will. Our family gatherings were the same. Now food is secondary. We actually have more time to spend together since the emphasis is not so much on the food. I used to say my new stomach will only hold 5 bites and I am using them all on this ! Babcia should be happy with that !

GoBlueGirl1998
on 5/15/14 3:38 am - MI

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm proud of my polish heritage & I'm so happy that my Babcia taught me how to cook! I'm thinking I can come up with healthier verison of stuffed cabbage & Kapusta (sauerkraut)!! I bet some of the rest of the family will enjoy healthier versions as well. Somtimes its hard explaining or getting thru to the older generation that its not an insult if I pass on the food they prepared.

SuzinDallas
on 5/15/14 5:51 am

I'm Polish too!!

I think Kapusta would be fairly easy to work with without any modifications-I haven't made it in a few years but I would think it would work out just fine post-op as my Babcia (who taught me a LOT about cooking) rarely used more than a sprinkle of sugar. How does your family make it?  I know some are heavy on the yellow peas and some it's more sauerkraut and mushrooms.  But even the yellow peas would probably be ok once you're a few months out.  

Remember that portion sizes will count a lot-but in moderation it should be ok I think.

Last time I made stuffed cabbage I changed nothing except left out all the rice. My family always made it fairly simply with pork and veal and simple herbs and spices so it's a fairly healthy recipe to begin with. But my Dad had RNY a few years ago and he said they sat perfectly in his pouch. And frankly both of us didn't miss the rice at all!

I will miss peirogi, makowiec and paczki though.  I've been racking my brain for a while and can't figure out how to get those to work. 

Revision from Lap-Band to RNY May 2014.  

Revision Consultation: 326   Day of Surgery: 310   Current: 250   Goal: 150

GoBlueGirl1998
on 5/15/14 11:03 pm - MI

Great idea on leaving the rice out of the stuffed cabbage. I was thinking about making it with turkey instead. I'm tyrying to make changes right now before surgery.

I love peirogi, but I don't see how it would be possible to make those work!!!

SuzinDallas
on 5/16/14 12:41 am, edited 5/16/14 1:07 am

So in my opinion I have cabbage rolls two, maybe three times a year.  To me the trade off calories/fat etc wise just isn't there to swap the pork and veal mix I usually use for Turkey.  I'd rather restrain myself from eating a large portion of something really tasty than have a lot of just ok food if that makes sense.  This is where I'll be relying on my tool (my new pouch) to help with the control.  This isn't how I'll approach all meals-just special ones like cabbage rolls, they'll be an occasional treat.

It would be different though if I had them a lot more frequently, then I'd need to make some changes.

Revision from Lap-Band to RNY May 2014.  

Revision Consultation: 326   Day of Surgery: 310   Current: 250   Goal: 150

MsBatt
on 5/15/14 3:55 am

I'm going to tell you the same thing I tell everyone---RESEARCH EVERYTHING.

There are four kinds of weight-loss surgery. You simply CANNOT make a good decision about which is right for you unless you understand them ALL.

They are: LapBand, RNY/gastric bypass, VSG/Sleeve, and DS/duodenal switch. I wouldn't recommend the Band to my worst enemy, and I would only recommend the RNY to people with a very specific set of medical problems. For everyone else, I recommend the VSG or the DS. Which depends on whether they need/want malabsorption and whether they can/will do what's necessary to be healthy with malabsorption.

Please do some research---Google is your friend. (*grin) Then feel free to ask any and all questions, but please---weigh the validity of answers based on how far post-op the awnserer is. Nearly everyone less than three years out is still "in love" with their WLS.

Catie780
on 5/15/14 5:58 am

It is great of you to consider as much as possible. I also come from family that loves to serve big feast sand my DH is the same way. I tried for years to stay high protein low carb around them but the RNY really gave me the tool to really eat lots of protein n no carbs. I have been successful with my RNY and lost 82 pounds in 7 moths. It's not the best record but I am pleased!!!! I could not cheat because of volume limitations. But after a while 6 months when I tried a no no food and didn't throw it up I realized that I have to NOT tRy and SEE HOW MUCH I CAN HANDLE or tolerate. It really is a mind game. I wish I were the type to really track every single gram of protein, carbs n water ---but I' m not that person. But the first time I saw a slow down n panicked that the journey was over I became more careful about every single thing I ate and lost 5 pounds in 7 days!!! So lesson learned -----but I had to learn it twice after that--- like I said not perfect- oh, I didn't say that lolololol

As for the family. They will be so happy for your quick success that they will agree to whatever you say. And you will do what is right for you. 

Read up on the pre op n post op diets on here and from your surgeon----if you have one that gives precise diets. See if there is a support group where you live. I found that really helpful pre op. wi****ook the time post op. but my schedule doesn't make it easy. 

Good luck. HTH

pebtash
on 5/15/14 10:08 am
VSG on 11/25/14

Can I ask what insurance you had. And who did you have to your mandatory 6 month diet with? Did they say that they go by your start weight or your weight now?

Most Active