Having some solids before two weeks out of surgery

zzobe
on 5/16/14 7:36 am

I'm mad at myself. I've been having some solids, before 2 weeks are up out of surgery. I made homemade beef veggie soup and had some of it. Have I ruined it for myself? :(

Castine1234
on 5/16/14 8:51 am
RNY on 05/06/14

Did you purée it?  Homemade soup sounds delish.  I just had cream of chicken out of a can.

zzobe
on 5/16/14 8:52 am

No, that's why I'm mad. The veggies were very soft. But I ate bits of the beef.

poet_kelly
on 5/16/14 8:54 am - OH

Eating solid food that early won't ruin anything.  At least, probably not.  All surgeons have different meal plans, it seems, but some have patients eating things like scrambled eggs before they even leave the hospital.

However, an inability to stick to your surgeon's plan might ruin things for you eventually.  If you don't follow the plan, you may not like the results.  Think of your surgeon's plan like a road map.  If you don't follow the map, you might not reach the destination you hope to get to.

I suggesting talking to your surgeon and/or dietician.  And talking to a therapist might help, too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

phillygirl215
on 5/16/14 10:16 am
RNY on 05/07/14

I am so scare to eat early.. True me I really want to at time when I have to cook dinner for my family.. But I don't think it will ruin it if u can tolerated why not.. But if ur surgeon wants you on just liquid I would do just that.. It's a mistake.. Be strong.. I'm also very early in the stage.. Just 9 days out..

Sgt-Trainor
on 5/16/14 11:41 am - Canada

I went through Weight No More located in Saskatoon, Sk, Canada and had a mini gastric bypass Apr 23rd. I am following a terrific bypass diet I found online at The Bariatric Hospital in Springfield, Mass., USA. Initially I was having a sleeve done but the surgeon found a tumour at the bottom of my stomach so removed it and did the bypass instead. Thank goodness. 

Kate -True Brit
on 5/16/14 6:11 pm - UK

Once may not harm anything. And soft veg in soup are soft. But beef!!! However small the pieces. 

My concern is not this incident but the fact that at this very early stage you are already going off plan. Post-op diets are hard but this is also the time of highest motivation. So don't tell yourself that one slip doesn't matter. It may not physically but psychologically it does. We all know the "just one biscuit" thoughts which turn into a packet. This is the same thought process. 

It happned. Move on. But don't do it again!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Mary Gee
on 5/16/14 9:04 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

From reading your past posts, it seems like you've been struggling for a while.  Stick to your doctor's plan.  Instead of homemade soup, buy chicken and beef broth.  I am three days out and I have three weeks of liquid diet - shakes and broth and fluids only.  Would I like some creamed soup or veggie soup?  Yes, I would.  There's a can a pea soup sitting in my cabinet, calling my name.  But it will stay there.  This is harder than I thought it would be - but it is what it is.

Success = following doctor's plan.  Don't waste all the time and effort you've put into this.  Be tough.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Most Active