Left side stabbing/shooting pain.

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/14 11:03 am

I had Roux-En-Y at the end of September in 2013. I've had no complications, but on occasion I've had pain in the left side of my abdomen just to the side of my belly button. It's always subsided after a day or so, but this time, the pain is more intense and breathtaking. The pain is intermittent and not constant, but now it feels like it's going up into my shoulder area. But it's not a stretch of pain. They seem like two separate instances that are occurring at the same time.

I'm on vacation with family and it's quite evident to them that I am not my normal self. I hate being asked if I'm okay or if something is wrong and having no idea how to answer. I've tried Googling what it could be/what of my organs are on the left side that could be causing this pain, but I'm not coming back with anything that seems likely. Any help or input would be appreciated.

Member Services
on 5/18/14 11:15 am - Irvine, CA

Even though you are not home, please give your surgeon's office a call and see what they advise.  Please keep us posted on how you are doing....

poet_kelly
on 5/18/14 11:33 am - OH

I'd go to the ER.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Linda_S
on 5/18/14 11:45 am - Eugene, OR

I don't want to scare you, but if you have pain on your left side and it's radiating up into your shoulder, you could be having a heart attack.  Please go get checked out right away.  It's so much better to be safe than sorry.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/18/14 1:13 pm

It can be anything.  It can be heart, hernia with twisted bowels, adhesions, ...or some simple things like constipation and gas pressure (been there). 

Some issues casn be easily fixed (constipation - takes some Miralax every day) while others may require immediate attention. 

If the pain is sharp and lasts long time - go to ER if you can think you need to.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

SJones7208
on 5/19/14 12:18 am
RNY on 04/17/14

Good morning!

I am one month and four days post op having had RNY as well.  Unfortunately, I am experiencing the same jabbing pain in the exact same place you describe.  I thought I was on easy street when I got home from the hospital.  The pain was tolerable and I had absolutely no complications...until a week and a half out.  The pain from my belly button to the left was horrendous and I thought I'd die if I bent over or sat straight up.  I let a few days pass and I finally called my doctor.  They said not tons of people get it, but that it's nerve pain due to the cutting they did through the muscles and nerves and that it can take from 6 - 9 months to heal but that I should feel better after 4 - 6 weeks.  I'm going on week 5 and I'm just now starting to feel human again.  I'm nowhere near 100% but I don't feel like dying either. 

They also told me not to baby it, to keep stretching and walking to speed up the healing process. 

Good luck!

Stephanie

SJones7208
on 5/19/14 12:25 am
RNY on 04/17/14

P.S. The pain I feel is like a burning, stabbing pain like someone is holding a torch to my belly.  At times, it radiates to other parts of my body but generally downward. 

Stephanie

AK_Gipson
on 5/21/14 12:37 am
VSG on 04/14/14

Yup. I thought I'd pulled a muscle or worse. Scared my best friend and she made me call the surgeon. Was told it's nerves healing in the muscles and having the vsg I could take a Motrin. It would help the inflammation but nothing would stop the pain until it healed :( 

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1425 views