starting my process with Tufts Medical Center

rafaelfsp89
on 5/20/14 6:22 am

Hello everyone,

I'm new here...I guess that's one of the biggest steps to starting my journey with weight loss surgery is finding other people like me looking to do the same thing . I am currently starting my process with tufts medical center mainly because they returned my phone call and st Elizabeth never did and second my health insurance ( anthem blue cross/blue shield ) highly recommended them in Massachusetts. I guess I'm considered lucky when it comes to appointment because so far I have seen the psychologist yesterday...the dietician today and I have my immersion day on June 9th. After that I have my last visit for the phycologist on June 30th and another visit with the dietician the same day...

So my question is for those that have went thru this process how long did it take before you was on the operating table ? How strict are they on the pre weight loss prior to surgery ? I am currently 408 pounds and with the last two appts that I have had they talk about the surgeon asking for any were around 5 to 10 percent which doesn't seem like much but doing the math that's 40-80 pounds to lose....which scares me because I never lost that much weight before....

I am ready to change my life style I already went out and stocked up on protein shakes meal replacement****ting the gym but I do want to do this surgery sooner rather then later and would like to know how other people faired in my sitiution

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/20/14 9:50 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You should clarify what your insurance requirements are.  Some insurance companies require a six month medically supervised weight loss program (mine did).  Every insurance company and plan is different, so what's required for you isn't necessarily the same for someone else.  Call your insurance company and ask them their requirements.  Write everything down and get the names of the people you talk with.  Your surgeon's office can also help you to find out what is required.  There are often many procedures you'll need to have prior to surgery and it may take longer than you hope.

As for your pre-op weight loss, at 409 lbs, 5-10 percent would be 20-40 pounds, not 40-80 pounds.  As with insurance companies, all surgeons have different requirements for their pre-op diets.  I started at 419 pounds, and my surgeon wanted me on the pre-op diet for four weeks.  I started early and lost 27 pounds.  

I wouldn't stock up on too many protein shakes.  What tastes good to you now may change dramatically after surgery.  If it takes some time, use it wisely to start changing your lifestyle and eating healthier.  It will only help with your recovery after surgery and start you on the road to long term weight loss success.

Good luck with whichever surgery you choose.  Keep us informed.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Lisa167
on 5/20/14 1:33 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

Hi!

I'm in the area too.  I'm going to Lahey.  I started with St. E's (that's where my primary is through) and I also gave up after a few attempts and no return phone calls.  Guess I'm not alone!

I don't have a surgery date yet.  I've recently started my classes, various appointments, and tests, but I'm hoping to have a date soon.  The hardest part is patience :-)

I'm holding off on stocking up on protein shakes for now.  I don't know what might bother me after surgery.  I may have to try different kinds to find what I like.

Don't worry about the pre-surgery weight loss.  Really.  You've yet to be introduce to Optifast :-)

Best of luck to you neighbor!

rafaelfsp89
on 5/20/14 2:30 pm

Thanks for the quick responses....I have spoken to my insurance company and they don't list a time frame it just states they want proof of prior weight loss that is supervised....but no time frame.

And yea I emailed st Elizabeth having been born there and going there for some long but I couldn't get anything done  with them...I have heard Lahey has a great program! Tufts has a lot of great reviews also but just with talking to my dietician it doesn't sound like they have optifast as an option I can be wrong and will look in to it more...the doctor recommended meal replacements as just a good starting point so that's why I stocked up on there recommended shakes which is premier protein.

Either way I'm getting this done and determine!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1108 views