caring for children

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/14 11:56 am

So how do yall manage parental responsibilities of shopping for food & cooking or birthday parties in your new life ?

What do you tell young children? My older child knows details of the procedure, but the younger blabber mouth needs an edited version. Right now he know I'm going to the doc for my "guts".

My children's friends sometimes give me power hugs - how long after surgery am I going to need to stop them?

poet_kelly
on 5/20/14 12:13 pm - OH

I would say something like "I'm having an operation on my tummy so I will get healthy."

I would handle the responsibilities of food shopping and cooking the way any parent does - buy healthy, yummy food and cook it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

burghblonde
on 5/20/14 12:45 pm
RNY on 05/12/14

I am 8 days out, today. The day I came home from the hospital I made it clear to my family that I did NOT want them hiding from me when they ate. My feelings, I need to get used to it. My only stipulation was to not 'cook' in the house until my extreme nausea wore off, which luckily was gone in a day. After that, I was cooking breakfast and dinner for my guys, packing lunches and sitting at the table with them sipping. Tomorrow I make my first trip to the grocery store. But I am dragging my hubby along with me because I am strongly craving, of all things, an avocado. This could get ugly! haha

My boys both know the gist of what I had done and my youngest is 10. I would suggest maybe speaking to their friends, or parents. And depending on the ages is how to address the obvious concerns. It will all work itself out! :) 

Never Sell Out On Your Heart 

~ Heather~

Sandie E.
on 5/21/14 12:40 am - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

My children are 4, 7, and 15 so I had to customize the conversation for each of them at their individual levels. I explained more to the 2 younger ones how I was going to have surgery on my tummy to help me get healthy and that they would make cuts and that it would hurt so no hugging my tummy or getting on me until I was all better. I also explained to them I would not be eating the food they were eating. My 4 yr old says no crunchy just soft. :) They have all done really well. You may have to remind them, but they will be okay. I haven't had to cook food yet since I am only a week out and just trying to heal and get my fluids down. I have only prepared quick and small things for them for a snack or lunch or something. Some smells really make me nauseous still but I don't have them hide or stay away from me. I hope to be able to be at the table with them like burghblonde very soon. Good luck!

Highest - 281   1st appt - 274   Approval/pre-surgery - 259   Current - 136

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1218 views