7 days out of surgery

loveritah
on 5/21/14 11:39 am

I am one week out of my bypass...I had the gastric sleeve 4 yrs ago and really did not see any change.  I am eating well already I have had mashed potatos, watermelon, and a hard boiled egg.  Why am I able to keep all this food in??? I did not eat it all at once or in one day.  But I am fearful that my surgery was not a success. 

rocky513
on 5/21/14 1:37 pm - WI

Did you get a food plan from your surgeon?  I was on liquids for the first three weeks.  I was told to concentrate on getting at least 64 ounces of fluid and 60 grams of protein.  I was NOT allowed fruit for several months.  Watermelon is too high in sugar and will slow your weight loss.  Mashed potatoes were not on my plan either.  I was told to avoid simple carbs like potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, sugar, etc.   They are high in calorie and offer little in nutritional value.  I was told to eat protein at every meal and snack time.  If I had room in my pouch after that....then I could eat non-starchy vegetables.  No drinking with your meals and for at least 30 minutes after you eat.

Am I hearing you right ...that you had VSG and did not lose any weight?  If you don't get the new food plan down and really work the RNY rules, you will likely not  succeed with this surgery either.  You should be working with a nutritionist and your surgeon and following their eating plan to the letter.  Following the rules will help you to change the way you relate to food.

I am over three years out and still measure my food to make sure that I am not over-eating.  I follow the rules.  I don't want to be in that statistic of people *****gain all their weight.  I listen to the vets who have gone before me and have succeeded.  This forum will help you a lot if you are willing to read, read, read.... and learn.

Best wishes to you!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Mary Gee
on 5/21/14 6:08 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Very unlikely that TWO surgeries would fail.  I had surgery on 5/14, and I'm on liquids only for three weeks.  The only things on my plan at this point are sf Carnation Instant Breakfas****er, broth, sf jello and sf popsicles.  Nothing Else.  Did your doctor give you a food plan? Are you following it?

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

ladygodiva1228
on 5/21/14 9:32 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

First off why are you eating foods so early out?  Mashed potatoes have no nutrional value and besides the egg where is the protein? 

You should be on liquid protein and water for at least a few weeks.  That is what almost everyone is on at first.  Heck a friend of mine was on protein shakes for almost 3 months she just healed slowly and had issues with more dense/mushy proteins. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Gwen M.
on 5/22/14 12:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The real question should be "why are you eating all that food?"

I would highly recommend that you start seeing a therapist of the mental health variety. If you can find one that specializes in disordered eating, even better. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1370 views