Does anyone use Humana under Medicare Advantage in MI?

56sunShine14
on 5/21/14 11:51 am

Ugh!  I am looking into my plans for Medicare which begins soon for me.  Not because of my age but disability.  In doing so, I am comparing plans but they are saying they do not cover ANY weight loss surgery. 

Has anyone in MI had Humana pay for their WLS?  I mean, everything is changing s fast and I need to make a decision soon.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 5/21/14 10:40 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

In my state they have people who are volunteers or work for a non profit that will help people navigate which plan to pick. Do they have that around you?

56sunShine14
on 5/23/14 11:46 am

Funny thing...all of the sites I go to for insurance info require my address and phone number just to browse their plans.  That puts my number into some file and I get tons of calls every day from different agents trying to make commission.  And these are all sites t "advise and enroll" people into a plan chosen.

I need to see about any volunteers to do this.  Thank you.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

braddsmom
on 5/23/14 11:13 pm - millington, MI
RNY on 06/02/14

Hi there,

From Michigan and I have original medicare and just found out that I have qualified for Medicaid as secondary.  I chose to keep original until done with surgery, I was going to pay deductibles and 20% copay, don't have to pay premiums.  But then I filled out online app for family for "healthy Michigan", because hubby's work doesn't offer insurance and I was approved for straight Medicaid.

You may want to check into Medicaid, the income limits are much higher.  Which covers premiums, deductibles & copays.  

Original medicare has no hoops, BMI 35 with two co-mobudities or BMI 40 or higher.  Pick your doctors, surgeons and surgery.  My pcp and surgeon wanted 3 visits(no supervised diet) because I only see my pcp once a year for physical.  The 3 months flew by and I was also able to get my other appointments done.  

But, since you are dealing with a disability, seeing a doctor regularly, you should be fine.  Just would need seminar, psych eval, pre-op, dietician/nurse visit.  Most programs in Michigan seem to be similar.

As far as Humania, looks like they cover only RNY with a six month surprised diet.  I would call, policies get updated a all the time.

I would call medicare, they are so helpful, the times that I have called to get understanding  about my insurance, they are very patient   made sure I understood.  And then when I called with all my surgeons procedure codes, went thru everyone and made sure had them correct.  All my calls have been 1/2-1 hour, but they are never rude and if they can't answer they find someone who can.

Best of luck!

Most Active