Not enough fluids

phillygirl215
on 5/22/14 1:22 am
RNY on 05/07/14

I am finding myself not getting enough fluids in.. I'm 2weeks post-op and I am down 23 lbs.. But the last couple of days I notice that I only drank one protein shake which is 14oz and one bottle of water which is 20oz and sf popsicle. I also take my vitamins. Before I know it it's bed time.. Does anyone else experience this.. I'm trying today to force myself to drink at least 2 shakes and water and my fav sf Popsicle.. Please help!!!!  

(deactivated member)
on 5/22/14 2:03 am - Canada

It's hard to balance the time between eating and drinking.  The day seems to go so fast!

If you have a smart phone or even an egg timer try setting it to go off 30 minutes after you eat (not sure if it's the same for your surgery as VSG but we have to wait 30 minutes before and after we eat).  Then you know it's time to start drinking again.  There is also an app that you can get that chimes every 5 minutes (or whatever you set it to) that reminds you to take a sip.  I don't know what it's called but I'm sure someone else can tell you.

I lose track of some days and realize I'm really behind.  I think with surgery it's a lot about time management and finding the tools to keep everything moving and on track.

God bless, Michelle

phillygirl215
on 5/22/14 2:26 am
RNY on 05/07/14

Hello Michelle,

yes it the same process I have to wait 30 mins after I eat but I'm not eating anything yet.. This transition it hard to do becuz I'm use to just drinking.. But the egg time is a great idea.. Thanks a bunch

(deactivated member)
on 5/22/14 2:39 am - Canada

No problem, good luck!

barb.k
on 5/22/14 2:54 am - Williamson, GA

I too find it hard to get my fluids in on some days, especially days that I work, unless I start first thing in the morning I leave a bottle of water on my night stand. I can then sip even if I wake up to use the bathroom and am going back to sleep. I log my water in my fitbit, many log their water in their fitness pal. I also set a timer on my phone to alarm 30 mins after completing a meal as a reminder. Remember too that you don't have to wait to drink after a liquid meal. Drink in the car for sure. Never leave home without fluids in a bag. It gets easier to drink fluids, you are only 2 weeks out. Variety also  helps me ( crystal light, power aid zero, or making shakes with different volumes by adding ice and making it a smoothy, or with iced coffee). You are doing great, it gets easier to tolerate, and more of a way of life with time. Congrats on your 23 pounds so far.

barb.k

phillygirl215
on 5/22/14 3:56 am
RNY on 05/07/14

Thanks barb k.. This is very helpful..

Cunning_Pam
on 5/22/14 4:52 am
RNY on 12/18/13

First of all, keep in mind that it will get much, much better! It will be easier to drink and you'll be able to drink more at a time soon. In the meantime, something that I found helpful was to leave glasses of water wherever I might end up in my house. Kitchen, bedroom, living room, and office/computer room all had glasses sitting there just waiting for me to drink from (I prefer my water at room temperature, so it didn't bother me to leave it out.)

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Valerie G.
on 5/22/14 9:00 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I carried a giant cup of water everywhere with me, and took sips all of the time.  It was 64oz, my daily goal.  I sipped before I did anything and after I did it.  I sipped when I thought of it, and I sipped during television commercials, etc.  I made drinking games with my giant cup.  It's the hardest part of recovery, and one of the most important, so don't expect it to be pleasant, but it has to be done.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1366 views