someone please help me!

klm5946
on 5/22/14 9:50 pm

I just had brachioplasty Wed, May 21 and I'm in so much pain! Only when I'm under pain meds am I okay. I can barely sleep at night and elevating my arms at night hurts so bad. My hands are so swollen and my arms feel like someone is pinching them and squeezing them at the same time. I didn't have lipo and I do have drains. I feel like I'm never going to get better and I feel so depressed and disappointed. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/23/14 1:51 am

you had a major surgery.. it should get better day by day... in a mean time - yea - it hurts.. cry.. take pain pills and sleep. wake up,  walk, drink water , get proteins, take pain pills and sleep some more...

HUGS

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

56sunShine14
on 5/23/14 3:50 am

DITTO

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Grim_Traveller
on 5/23/14 3:31 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I have not had it done, but everyone that I know says it is very painful, and just takes time.

Wishing you luck.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

White Dove
on 5/23/14 3:47 am - Warren, OH

I saw Joan Collins on a talk show once and she said she has had every plastic surgery procedure that exists, except would not do brachioplasty.  It seems to be one of the most painful things to go through.  I am sure the results will be worth it.  Just take your pain meds and heal.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Gwen M.
on 5/23/14 4:47 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You had major surgery 2 days ago!  Of course you're in pain!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

klm5946
on 5/25/14 2:46 am

Thanks everyone. I feel a little better now. Also, I was 151 lbs the day of surgery and they said they took almost a pound from each arm (making me probably close to 149). I have been eating very healthy since the surgery and frankly, have not had much of an appetite. I get on the scale today and I've gained 3 lbs making me 154. How is that possible when they have removed so much skin from my arms AND I haven't eaten badly or that much for that matter? Can I be retaining fluids for some reason??? My goal weight is 137-140 and I seem to be getting farther from that instead of closer.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/25/14 5:25 am - OH

Yes, you are CERTAINLY retaining fluid!  That is what post-op swelling is.  Part of your body's healing mechanism when it senses injury is to flood the area with extra fluid. Also, you were likely given IV fluids during the surgery.

My arms hurt like hell for the first two weeks after I had it done.  I didn't have any drains, but the swelling (especially in my armpits) made every movement hurt.

As far as sleeping, I put a pillow lengthwise on both sides of my body and just slept on my back with each arm down at my sides on a pillow (so they were slightly bent in a very natural position -- sort of like the same position they would be in if you were sitting in a chair with them resting on the arm of the chair -- but raised up and cushioned by the pillows). It hurt too much to try to sleep with them any other way.

Some people say their brachioplasty didn't hurt much at all. It isn't pain on a level with a tummy tuck (OMG, that hurt SO much!), but those first two weeks were quite difficult.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Deborah B.
on 5/25/14 2:59 am

Sorry for the slow reply, just logged in after a week so I'm just reading this now.
I'm not saying something is wrong, necessarily but I don't think you should be in this much pain. Hopefully you called your doctor/surgeon, they want to keep your pain under control.

Most Active