Took the first step

Purplemonster
on 5/22/14 11:22 am

I'm new here. I had my consultation with the surgeon about a month ago, now I'm just going through all the steps. I have to have another 3 months with PCP, so it seems like that's what's going to take the longest. I have about 120lbs to lose. I'm trying to get approved for the Gastric bypass. I'm new to all this and would just like so advice or words of wisdom, about the coming months. Any advice would be helpful! That's all for now.

Eggface
on 5/22/14 2:05 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Best wishes to you! Having weight loss surgery (almost 8 years post gastric bypass) was the best gift I ever gave myself... hope you are soon saying the same thing. 

A few things to do while you wait for your date :)

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Hislady
on 5/23/14 3:50 am - Vancouver, WA

One word, patience! Patience getting approved, patience after surgery, patience when you stall, patience when you gain and patience in maintaining weight loss for the rest of your life. They all take time and you can make yourself crazy trying to rush any step. Good luck!

lara86
on 5/23/14 3:59 am - Canada

Congrats on taking the first step!! I am now 4 months post op. Down 60lbs. It's a long process about 1 year. Just make sure u do everything that is asked of you to the "t" because it will be so helpful for after the surgery. Do all ur research on this operation and soon you will be enjoying the start of your new life!! Good luck with everything!

MsBatt
on 5/23/14 5:23 am

Before you commit to the RNY/gastric bypass, also research the VSG/Sleeve and the DS/duodenal switch. Both of those procedures leave you with a fully-functional stomach, unlike the RNY.

Purplemonster
on 5/23/14 2:40 pm

Thank you for all your kind words! I know that patience will be something that I'm going to have to get used to, but I'm learning lol

I have looked into all 3 types of surgery, and the reason why I'm leaning towards the gastric bypass, is for two reasons, my Dr said it has the most weight loss, and that because I suffer from horrible heartburn and acid reflux, and the sleeve can make it worse and sometimes that doesn't go away. It's more for the second reason.

MsBatt
on 5/24/14 1:11 am

Actually, there are FOUR forms of WLS---LapBand, VSG/Sleeve, RNY/gastric bypass, and DS/duodenal switch. Of them all, the DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period.

Reflux can definitely be a problem with the Sleeve, since they've started making them so very small. Back 10+ years ago when I had my DS, it was customary to leave the Sleeved stomach bigger---and no one ever complained about reflux. Then people with the stand-alone Sleeve started having issues with regain, so they started making the Sleeves smaller and smaller---and suddenly a LOT of people where complaining about reflux.

My DS completely cured my reflux, and it was really, really BAD. Many nights I slept sitting up because of it. My operative report says my Sleeve was left in the 3-5 ounce range, and I really think that's why it cured my reflux.

happyteacher
on 5/26/14 9:48 am

I had horrible reflux prior to my sleeve surgery, but the doc found a hiatel hernia while doing the sleeve.  No acid since :)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 5/26/14 10:42 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

I also had reflux before my sleeve. My gallbladder was also taken out. I have not had it since.

Purplemonster
on 6/6/14 1:19 pm

After talking to my surgeon I think I'm going to have the sleeve, but it won't be until September... So just a few more months!

Most Active