Why Low Fat?

angel22_99
on 5/23/14 6:24 am

Hi everyone!  I am new to this board and I am going through the process of getting insurance approval for VGS.  I am looking though the post-surgery diet from my doctor and I'm wondering...now this may be a silly question...what is the purpose of low fat everything (cheese, mayo, cream soups)?  Is it because high fat items will make you sick or is it just because they are supposed to be lower in calories?  I have read in several places that sugar will give you dumping syndrome, but will fat do that too? Thanks!

poet_kelly
on 5/23/14 7:52 am - OH

I don't know why your doctor recommends low fat everything.  You could ask him.  But large amounts of fatty foods are generally high in calories (although low fat does not always mean low sugar) and some types of fat are not good for you.

People with VSG rarely have dumping syndrome from too much sugar.  About 30% of RNY patients do.  I'm not sure how many with VSG dump but I think the number is much lower than with RNY. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/23/14 8:04 am - OH

No, fat does not cause dumping.  Only sugar/carbs cause dumping.  fat can cause cramping or diarrhea, but it isn't dumping.  My surgeon did not tell hER patients to eat only low fat foods.  She did, of course, suggest limiting fat consumption because of the calories, because it isn't healthy, and because too much fat can result in intestinal distress.

With a VSG, though, you still have your pyloric valve and have no bypass.  It is the lack of that valve plus the intestinal bypass that is what causes RNYers to dump, so VSGers shouldn't dump.  What leads you to believe that as a VSGer you will dump?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

angel22_99
on 5/23/14 8:39 am

What led me to believe that VSGer's dump is because it's written in my pre-op package!  LOL  The package said that high fat and sugar will cause dumping syndrome.  I agree with you, actually, I just wanted to be sure.  Also, there are so many typos in this packet that I am tempted to correct it with a red pen and hand it back to them!

I really love my surgeon and his office staff and I will follow the diet, but I feel like there are a lot of contradictions.  First of all, they say to eliminate all artificial sweeteners before surgery, but the first week you are drinking crystal light, sugar free jello, and sugar free ice pops. I definitely get why you can't eat regular jello and such, but what's the point of removing the artificial sweeteners in the pre op phase?  He also wants us to do Slim Fast shakes for the two week fast....does he know how much sugar are in those bad boys?  I am going to ask if I can use Atkins shakes or even my old Medifast shakes.  I'm not saying I want to eat a stick of butter post-op, but when I eventually get to eat tuna salad, I don't see the point in using light mayo for the tiny amount I am going to eat.  I just think he's using 1990's dieting rules.

I don't mean to come off as complaining or a "know-it-all"..i really REALLY need this to work for me, and I need to be able to stick to it.

Gwen M.
on 5/23/14 8:50 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I did use SF popsicles since they were such a nice treat post-op, but I managed fine without the other stuff.  I use Optimum Nutrition whey powder, lots of people like Syntrax, you should be able to use any high protein powder out there.  (Of course, these all use artificial sweeteners, but I'm having one shake a day so it's acceptable to me!)  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Gwen M.
on 5/23/14 8:29 am
VSG on 03/13/14

High fat things won't make you sick, and the sleeve doesn't have issues with dumping.  I don't know why your doctor recommends what he/she does, but I eat regular fat foods.  It's my belief that fat is a healthy part of the diet and I've also read some studies saying that it's important to keep your gall bladder functioning.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

angel22_99
on 5/23/14 8:42 am
On May 23, 2014 at 3:29 PM Pacific Time, GwenMo wrote:

High fat things won't make you sick, and the sleeve doesn't have issues with dumping.  I don't know why your doctor recommends what he/she does, but I eat regular fat foods.  It's my belief that fat is a healthy part of the diet and I've also read some studies saying that it's important to keep your gall bladder functioning.  

My thoughts exactly!  It's not like I'm going to eat fried foods, but I feel like a touch of real butter is better in the long run than a heap of "I can't believe it's not butter" or whatever.

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/14 10:48 am
VSG on 03/04/14 with

I have heard several people say that their programs use the same pamphlet for VSGand RNY. Some just copy and replace the two names, and leave everything else the same. Maybe that's where the contradictions come from.

Judy700
on 5/23/14 5:18 pm
VSG on 03/11/14 with

I think what Virgin Queen said is quite true.   I, too, have seen many things written for VSG that are intended more for bypass.  Many doctors, too, require the same for their VSG patients as they do for their RNY patients.  As for low-fat everything, many products that are low fat are also lower in calories.  It may not be true for everything, but a teaspoon of Smart Balance light is going to have less calories than a teaspoon of butter and won't be converted into extra fat in your belly.  Two tablespoons of full fat Mayo has many more calories than non-fat mayo.  At the beginning when we eat so little, the extra calories may not make that much of a difference, but you are not changing habits that made you so overweight to begin with if you just eat less of the full fat foods.  The time comes when our restriction is over and we can eat similar amounts that we used to eat.  If we go back to eating the same fattening foods we ate before, we will not retain the initial weight loss.  As for eating some fats, I, too believe the body needs a small amount to keep it working well.  However, good fats are different than bad fats.  A small amount of salad dressing made with extra virgin olive oil will be a lot better for you than the same amount of full fat Ranch dressing and will give your body the fat it needs.  The same is true if you eat a slice of an avocado or have a handful of nuts during the day.  These are good fats and you're getting a lot better nutrition from the avocado or nuts than from full fat butter, mayo, or dairy products. 

VSG on March 11, 2014. 60 yo female from Washington, DC area. 

HW: 235  SW: 230  CW: 134.5 (3/23)    M1:-19    M2: -13   M3: -10.4    M4: - 8.2   M5: -6.4    M6: -5    M7: -7.4    M8: -4    M9: -8.6    M10: -5    M11: -3.6    M12:  -1.5 Goal reached 3/23/15 in 1 year + 12 days following surgery.  BMI from 42.1 to 23.9 

angel22_99
on 5/24/14 12:59 am

Thanks for all the replies!  I am hoping that this surgery will cut down my appetite enough that I can eat all healthy/real foods in small quantities.  I hope it doesn't come to the point where I have over-indulged enough to where I am stuck eating diet foods again.  

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1399 views