On the verge?

Almostthere1966
on 5/27/14 5:31 am - Canada

Hello, my name is Kathy and I am almost ready for my surgery date to be given.I have not been nervous yet but am beginning to be. My family has suggested I reach out to others who are almost ready for their surgeries and maybe we can enccourage and verbally support each other? thanks looking forward to hearin from others going throuh the same things.

Kathy

danixbanani
on 5/27/14 6:29 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

Hi there!  What surgery are you going to have?  Might be best to post on the designated forum for that surgery type.  Good luck and don't be nervous!  You're doing a great thing :)

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

Almostthere1966
on 5/27/14 7:41 am - Canada

When I saw the surgeon just last week he said he will most likely be doing the Gastric sleeve, but he wont know for certain until he gets the process started, maybe he can do the Bariatric bypass. So I am not certain what surgery I am supposed to look at. but a general over view and someone goin through similar situation is what I am looking to share and learn info about the entire process and maybe even share before and after if I get the courage.

Kathy

MsBatt
on 5/28/14 3:13 am
On May 27, 2014 at 2:41 PM Pacific Time, Almostthere1966 wrote:

When I saw the surgeon just last week he said he will most likely be doing the Gastric sleeve, but he wont know for certain until he gets the process started, maybe he can do the Bariatric bypass. So I am not certain what surgery I am supposed to look at. but a general over view and someone goin through similar situation is what I am looking to share and learn info about the entire process and maybe even share before and after if I get the courage.

Kathy

Oh, honey, NO! YOU should be the one to decide which form of WLS you want to spend the rest of your life living with. The post-op lifestyle varies a LOT from procedure to procedure, and you need to choose the one best suited to your strengths and weaknesses.

Check out the Revision forum, and talk to some people who did NOT get the best surgery for them the first time around.

jmgrant81
on 5/27/14 6:41 am - deltona, FL

Hi Kathy, my surgery is Friday and I am getting a little nervous, but I know it will lead to good things.  I came on here to meet people going through the same thing also.  I met a lady from my area who just her surgery done on April 30th, and we text back and forth and I ask her a ton of questions.  It really has helped me out, because no one really knows what you are going through.  It is more than just a surgery, it is a mental thing too.  You are going through tons of changes physically and mentally, also changes in relationships.  I also started going to a support group in my area, that might be good for you also.

Almostthere1966
on 5/27/14 7:47 am - Canada

Congratulations  JM sounds like you are even closer then I am then. I have not even begun the optifast diet yet as my date has not been made. I know the kind of surgery, the surgeon and have the purscriptions for everything  just waiting a day or 2  to learn the actual date.  heheheh could call it nail bitting time but dont think we are allowed finger nails in our diet hehehe.

Kathy

jmgrant81
on 5/27/14 8:57 pm - deltona, FL

Every surgeon is different, but mine said with the liquid diet 2 protien shakes and one meal with lean protien and green vegetables.  It hasn't been that bad, I started last Tuesday and have lots 11 pds.  I also suffer from PCOS, so me dropping that much is a miracle.  I drink all day, I found that I love vitamin water zero, it is delicious.  Also, get da Vinci or torani sugar free syrup and you can change the taste of your shakes, so it isn't always the same flavor.

Almostthere1966
on 5/28/14 2:15 am - Canada

Wowsers 11pounds before the surgery I would call exilleratin hahah. I will be workin very closely with a dietition as well due to haveing to keep blood sugars under control and being Insulin dependent from birth.I love frozen water in bottles just carry it around with me and drink as t melts, so hopefully ths will helpthe three weeks I am supposed to be on the Optifast. I will look into the different low sugar or flavours that can be added to give a varitie. I am so excited for you being so close to your surgery. How long do you expect your recovery in the hospital to be?

jmgrant81
on 5/28/14 11:02 am - deltona, FL

They said it depends, on how long I will be in the hospital based on how much I can drink, and walk.  I am getting a little nervous.  You should definetly read up on the different types of surgery.  I chose RNY, because I have a sweet tooth and like to give in.  I am hoping the dumping will be negative re-enforcement.  Choose what is best for you, don't let the dr dictate.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/28/14 3:51 am

Don't have a surgeon dictate what surgery you will get. They are so very different, and you will live with it for life, not him/her. 

I first went to my surgeon and learned that the things that were dictating what surgery he was going to give me was based on what surgeries they did, or more importantly DIDN'T perform (so best one for me was almost ruled out because there wasn't a correctly skilled surgeon at the time of my visit).

The other thing that shocked me, was they were going to change my surgery type based on lack of OR time on the day I was scheduled. They could do a shorter procedure on me, and get another person in (which is many thousands $$$ more in  thier pocket for one day). 

I didn't need the surgery that was easiest for them to do, or took the least amount of OR time. I needed what would suit my eating and lifestyle and get this weight off and keep it off. I can't recommend enough that you read about the different studies, and read some studies on them. A not-for-profit place that has compiled a list and links to may WLS studies that you can access is DSfacts.com. It's free, and the time you spend now will pay off for the rest of your life.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1512 views