Carbonated drinks.

mbentz
on 5/27/14 7:17 am - Somerset, PA

I'm 4 years out RNY. Doing great. Just had a quick question. I was always told not to drink carbonated beverages.  So I have not.  But I cannot remember what the reason was for not being able to drink them. Can someone please refresh my memory?  Lol!

HW 282  SW 270  GW 160  CW 150
Amy R.
on 5/27/14 7:39 am

There really is no reason you can't have carbonation post op and even in the same amounts as you drank pre-op. A rumor that will not die consists of a "warning" that carbonation can stretch your pouch.  It absolutely can NOT do so.  

Like so much of the post-op life,  you get to decide what works for you.  Personally, I didn't drink any until about nine months post-op.  Now I drink approx the same amount as I did in my pre-op life. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/27/14 7:43 am - OH

What Amy said (on all counts).  I don't drink quite as much as I did before my RNY, and didn't drink any at all until after 6 months out (closer to 9 months), but at almost 7 years out, I have at least one a day.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Ken C.
on 5/27/14 9:32 pm
VSG on 03/11/14

I am not RNY, but VSG.  Haven't had a carbonated beverage for about 4 months now. Is this a question you want at ask here or at the doctor's office?

Be careful. If you've given it up I personally wouldn't go back. I have two siblings who had a RNY and they both drink pop all the time. But, both have gained most of their weight back too.  I don't think sodas are the only reason, but I was told to give it up for good by my health provider. I usually get unsweetened tea or zero calorie lemonade when eating out. It was a bid deal to me, but in my pre-surgery days I never lost weight drinking diet pop.

TruemansMom
on 5/28/14 1:47 am
VSG on 06/24/13

I agarre, if you've stopped, don't start again. I went back to drinking a mix of diet coke and lemonade but found it was a gateway drug for me and was only able to quit by subsituteing iced tea, no sugar, no lemon. Once I started drinking that the other was easy to get away from. and I am finding the carb cravings are starting to subside again now that I have quit.

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

mbentz
on 5/28/14 3:11 am - Somerset, PA

Thank you all for the input.  I asked that question because for 4 years now, I have been drinking the Sobe 0 calorie vitamin waters.  My husband was introduced to the ICE sparkling flavored waters, also 0 calories.  He told me how good they were but I said I couldn't drink them because they were carbonated.  Which got me thinking, why????  I believe it was the myth about the pouch stretching.  But I couldn't remember.  Anyway, I have discovered that if I open an ICE and let it sit awhile it goes flat and is not so bubbly.  I just needed a change.  Thanks again, everyone!!

HW 282  SW 270  GW 160  CW 150
Most Active