Discouraged

malarkey
on 6/4/14 8:53 am

Haven't met with the surgeon yet.

Met with my PCP today and he wants to put me on Phentermine for at least a month.

Anyone had to go through this?

Hislady
on 6/4/14 9:08 am - Vancouver, WA

I would tell him forget it, that you are looking for a lasting weight loss option. Sure you will probably lose on it but you can't take it forever, not to mention the side effects. You are in control of your body all you have to do is tell him no you aren't interested in a temporary fix. If he doesn't like it then maybe you need to find another doc *****spects you more.

malarkey
on 6/4/14 9:12 am

Thank you so much for this. I wonder if I am allowed to use my OB/GYN (he's the one doctor I've consistently seen for the last 10 years besides my PCP).

Thank you for the reply. You lifted my spirit.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/5/14 1:31 am

Yes. MY OBGYN referred me to my WLS doc.  I even did not have PCP at that time.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 6/4/14 9:12 am - OH

You don't have to go on phentermine if you don't want to.  Tell him you're looking for a lasting, effective weight loss method.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

malarkey
on 6/4/14 9:13 am

Thank you.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/4/14 9:13 am - OH

I agree with the previous responder.  Tell him to forget it.  The drugs can be dangerous if you have an underlying medical issue and they just DON'T work long term -- and he should KNOW that -- so why put your body through that?!?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

malarkey
on 6/4/14 12:39 pm

Thank you. I should be suspicious when he didn't listen. I should be suspicious when insurance won't pay for the phentermine.

My appointment with my Bariatric Surgeon is Thursday, June 26th. I haven't told my PCP that I refuse to take his medication. He didn't listen to me when I told him that the paperwork said that "pharmacological management is not acceptable for weight loss."

pebtash
on 6/4/14 10:57 am
VSG on 11/25/14

No I wouldn't do it. It will only prolong your plans. If you go on it for a month what happens when you stop using it? I would bet the weight would come back I would think that might be just one of the reasons you are planning on this surgery because if you are like me I can loose but then it all comes back plus some. Good luck with your decision and only you can make that.

Mona Mee
on 6/4/14 11:10 am - Largo, MD
RNY on 07/17/14

I can't believe the doctor wanted to put you on phentermine. Most docs stray away from that. I had to get an echo because I had palpitations off of it when I went behind against my PCPs wishes of me NOT taking it. :-(

RNY 7/17/2014!! Decided to stop kidding myself about what I'm really doing with my life. Excited for getting back to me!!   

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1426 views