Can you have the vertical sleeve after you had gastric bypass?

Leatha B.
on 6/11/14 1:16 am - beautiful, KY

I can't find the answer to this, do any of you know if you can have this surgery after you had gastric bypass 8 years ago?

MsBatt
on 6/11/14 1:38 am

The answer is a guarded "yes, but..."

It CAN be done, but it requires a highly skilled surgeon. It requires putting the pouch and the remnant stomach back together, THEN making a Sleeve. It also requires returning the small intestine to one piece instead of two.

Also---why do you want to? Have you had significant regain that you think getting the Sleeve will help you shed? Did you never lose enough to begin with, and you think the restriction of the Sleeve will help you lose more?

If either of the above is the reason you think you want a Sleeve, you need to seriously research a procedure called the Duodenal Switch. The DS has a Sleeved stomach plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective long-term, than that of the RNY. THIS would be the logical revision for a failed RNY, rather than just a Sleeve. Again, you need a highly skilled DS surgeon who specializes in revisions do to this. I have a list if you need it.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/11/14 3:53 am
RNY on 08/05/19

The sleeve reduces the size of your stomach... but the RNY already rearranges things so that your stomach is skipped entirely. So removing the portion of your stomach that is taken out in the VSG would be completely irrelevant as far as I can imagine, unless you want to have the RNY "undone."

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

southernlady5464
on 6/11/14 10:11 am
On June 11, 2014 at 10:53 AM Pacific Time, Secret Agent Sparklekitty wrote:

The sleeve reduces the size of your stomach... but the RNY already rearranges things so that your stomach is skipped entirely. So removing the portion of your stomach that is taken out in the VSG would be completely irrelevant as far as I can imagine, unless you want to have the RNY "undone."

Because revising to a sleeve/DS gives her back her pyloric valve that Mother Nature gave us. And unlike the appendix, the pyloric valve has a very important function.

Ms.Batt is correct...there is only a handful MAYBE who can handle a RNY to Sleeve or DS revision.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

MsBatt
on 6/11/14 6:08 am

Sparklekitty's confused. In the RNY, MOST of your stomach is bypassed, but not all.