throwing up after surgery

Dotti Alicea
on 6/15/14 3:24 am - Southbridge

My pcp is afraid because I have Lupus. And he's scared that I might flare and throw up after surgery. Has anyone thrown up after surgery? Is it common to throw up?

I'm trying to think of ways to convince him that it is okay lol

White Dove
on 6/15/14 3:31 am, edited 6/15/14 3:32 am - Warren, OH

Very common.  Tell the anesthesiologist that vomiting might be a problem.  They will give you medicine to make sure it does not happen.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Cunning_Pam
on 6/15/14 3:33 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I vomited from day one after surgery due to an ileus (a minor complication, possible with any surgery involving general anesthesia.) It won't hurt anything, and there are medications they can give you to help keep the nausea down.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Hislady
on 6/15/14 3:36 am, edited 6/15/14 3:36 am - Vancouver, WA

Your PCP should leave that up to your surgeon to worry about. I've been on prednisone for over a year now and had surgery to remove my lapband with no problems what so ever. My surgeon simply doubled my prednisone that day to lessen any adrenal shock and there are plenty of meds they can give you for nausea. It's really no concern of your PCP, at most he has to refer you to the surgeon if insurance requires it but as far as how the surgery itself goes, that's up to your surgeon.

Another thing to think about is that you are going to have to remember not to eat just because you are on the prednisone, because you may feel hungry doesn't mean you have to eat. You can just as easily have a small healthy snack as an unhealthy calorie laden one.

Dotti Alicea
on 6/15/14 4:44 am - Southbridge

He won't put in my surgery request to the insurance until he talks to my surgeon and makes sure that I won't rupture any sutures ugh I just want my surgery already!

Hislady
on 6/15/14 12:04 pm - Vancouver, WA

Most surgeries are done laprascopically and glued back to gether so that shouldn't be a problem. Your PCP sounds like he needs to go back to school and learn a few things about modern surgery. I know you aren't the only person that has ever had this done.

JenniPenny
on 6/15/14 7:50 am - MN

I'm 13 yrs out and I've "thrown up" like 3 times. All were eating too much for my pouch - in a hurry to finish dinner. We don't throw up like we did pre op - we have like baby spit up. For most of us we can and

do spit up stuff if we've over filled our pouch or eaten too fast. I threw up once in a store, caught it in a Kleenex and kept on shopping. It's not a biggie, we don't hold much and if it comes up it's maybe an ounce.

Not like the retching, throwing up we did before. Many don't throw up ever, some take longer to learn to eat slowly and stop when full. If you follow the rules throwing up for you may not exist. Your doc shouldn't be concerned unless you throw up now for now reason or dry heave. As a post op RNY patient the odds you'll throw up are very small. It's not a biggie and it's completely correctable by us.

Jen 13 yrs post op RNY

Dotti Alicea
on 6/16/14 6:07 am - Southbridge

Lol. I'm complicated. I've been in icu about 6 times since last year. He's jus****ching out for me. But the surgeon called today and said it's completely normal and ill b fineee ! Now I gotta convince mister pcp

teacherford
on 6/16/14 6:20 am
RNY on 06/09/14

For about 24 hours after surgery, I dry heaved every time I got up went to bathroom, moved, looked the wrong way. They couldn't get the nausea medicine in me fast enough. My Surgeon wasn't concerned, just thought it was the meds and anesthesia. It hurt a little, but no sutures were ruptured, didn't tear my stomach apart, was perfectly fine in a day. Just have the surgeon call your Dr and talk with him about the procedure. I have a rare brain disease with a medical device in my body for it, so I get where you are coming from, and it really shouldn't be a problem.

HW: 322.8 SW: 305.3 RNY 6/9/14. Preop Loss: -17.5 M1: -22.4 W5: -4.5  W6: -1.6 W7: -4.7 W8: -3.3 M2: -14.1 W9: -2.8 W10: -3.7 W11: -2.9 W12: -3.1 M3: -12.5 W13: -6.1 W14: -3.2 W15: -3 W16: -2.5 M4:-14.8 W17: -4.2 W18:-4.5 W19:-3.6 W20: -0 M5: -12.3 W21:-.5 W22: -4.5 W23:-9 W24: -3.4 M6:-17.4 W25:-2

Dotti Alicea
on 6/16/14 6:23 am - Southbridge

Thank you :)

Most Active