Is the process different for everyone or is it the same?

malarkey
on 6/16/14 11:41 am

I am so worrisome about everything.

On May 22nd I went to my Bariatric Surgery Weight Loss Surgery Seminar at the Hospital where I chose my Surgeon.

I completed my preliminary paperwork and will meet with my surgeon on June 26th.

Am I supposed to have completed my (possibly required) pre-surgery weight loss (for cigna it is 90 days) before I have met with the surgeon?

I'm so confused. I haven't been given much information. Any advice is helpful and appreciated. 

37 year old, Mom of 2 Live in rural North Carolina. Our local gym is a joke. 

Highest Weight: 280 lbs.

Pre-surgery weight 274

Current weight 246.5

Roux En Y Gastric Bypass on 11/25/2014 with Dr. Alfonso Torquati

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/16/14 11:46 am - OH

Different surgeons follow different protocols.  I met with my surgeon before I started the pre-op requirements because she supervised the weight loss portion and the meetings with the exercise physiologist were at the surgeon's office.

It sounds like you might do the same where you will begin the 90 days on the day you meet with the surgeon. Some people, though, never actually meet with the surgeon until after they get insurance approval!  

If they didn't give you anything that tells you what order things go in when you were at the initial seminar, the best thing to do is ask what the procedure is when you go in on the 26th.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

malarkey
on 6/16/14 11:47 am

Thank you ****rogirl. I appreciate all the information you gave me. 

37 year old, Mom of 2 Live in rural North Carolina. Our local gym is a joke. 

Highest Weight: 280 lbs.

Pre-surgery weight 274

Current weight 246.5

Roux En Y Gastric Bypass on 11/25/2014 with Dr. Alfonso Torquati

Steffan467
on 6/16/14 3:16 pm

Like others have said.  It depends on the doctors, the insurance companies, your weight.  What kind of surgery you have.  Your BMI  the first time I went through my one insurance at one year they approved.  It was approved the end of Dec and Jan 1st they said that there were going to be changes in insurance and no more weightloss surgery would be covered.  WHAT????  Some doctors make you have a test right before surgery to make sure you smoke.  My doctor said you had to be on a liquid diet for a month, after surgery I found out I didn't need to be because that was only for people with a bmi over 40.  It seems like you will never get there.  Insurance tries to get you to do so many things you want to give up.  If you really want it, you will have it.  Just every bump in the road, get over it and move on.  I didn't think mine would ever happen.  It's been 9 years now.  I can't believe it has been that long and I am at a stable 122.  Good luck

223/112/123  11 lbs under goal.  Normal weight.  My blog shows from the beginning of my journey  http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/steffan467/blog_page,9/
I have Lost a Whole Josh
Ilostajosh2.jpg picture by Steffan6699      \ http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/steffan467/blog_page,9/

gmantek
on 6/16/14 11:47 pm

Hi.  I have Cigna and they also required 90 days.  My 90 days started the first day I weighed in at my surgeons office.  I had to weigh in 2x per month for 3 months.  In addition, the center had me attend support groups (10), fill out diet history, psych eval, and PCP clearance.  At the end of 90 days, they sent this entire packet to Cigna and 2 weeks later I got the approval.  Make sure you ask very detailed questions about exactly what is required of you so you do not waste any time!  It helps to have a great center who is organized - mine held my hand through the entire process which is what I needed.  No stress at all!

Most Active